backup plugin - exclude "/home" dir?

• OMV 4.x
    • backup plugin - exclude "/home" dir?

hi,

I am using the OMV also as a simple desktop and therfore have a rather large /home directory on the /dev/sda1, which is also the root partition.

when I am using the backup pluing - which is great - with the option fsarchiver the whole /home directory will be backed up, which is unnecessary and a waste of hdd space.

Is there any way to exlude some dirs from backup when using fsarchiver?

a solution 1would be to move the /home to a separte partition ... I know :) but I don't have a fixed partition size for /root and /home.

thx & best
    • I guess I could expose the extra options box for fsarchiver as well. This would allow you to specify excludes parameters.

That said, if you enable home directories on OMV, the home directories will be in a shared folder on a data drive avoiding this issue. The concept of OMV is to have no data on the OS drive so that if you lose the OS drive, you lose no data.

While I use home directories at /home as well, if you have so much data that it is wasting space, you are doing it wrong. That much info should be on the data drives.
      omv 5.1.2 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.7
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • 4.0.6 is in the repo now. I just tested with --exclude=/home and it worked fine.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • CoolDuke wrote:

only there is a typo in the default exclude options " --excloude=/srv " - one "o" to much
      There are no default options. That must be your typo :)

CoolDuke wrote:

I would exclude "/mnt" as well...
      This shouldn't be necessary. fsarchiver and dd backup the partition only. rsync includes the one filesystem flag and excludes /mnt already. So, none of three would backup files if another filesystem was mounted on/in /mnt or any other mountpoint.

• Users Online 1

1 Guest

• Tags