Tranferrates while copying Sata to Sata

• For unfortunate reasons I had to restore my backup, a internal SATA-Drive to another.

I backup my data drive regularly to a paralell driven hd ... additional i backup to a USB3-Drive. So far so good.

When I restored using rsync Sata-hd - to Sata hd, intern i get transfer-rates up to 100 +/- MB/sec, almost the same as doing the same on Sata-hd - USB3 and the over all speed was very poor

Is this ok?

Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usually a you should get much higher speeds, but when copying whole drives caches are not very useful. So you may experience much slower speeds than what SATA III is capable of.

Cheap hdds may rely more on the caches for speed. And they are fast only in short bursts. Better, more expensive drives may have faster spinning platters and faster internal electronics and will have higher sustained throughput. When disks are reviewed this is often tested.

Also when disks start to fill up they slow down. That may depend on the filesystem as well as the fact that more inner tracks are used, not the better outer tracks.

It is also possible that you get thermal throttling during long tasks. Especially if you use encryption or compression.

And if you use a foreign filesystem (NTFS) then that may also slow down the transfer.

Also rsync is probably not the fastest way to copy data internally. It does more than just shuffle data...

• Cheap hdds may rely more on the caches for speed.

Is a Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB a cheap one?

Usually a you should get much higher speeds, but when copying whole drives caches are not very useful. So you may experience much slower speeds than what SATA III is capable of.

Also rsync is probably not the fastest way to copy data internally. It does more than just shuffle data...

What is the better choice ... i point out I was a little bit nervous while my last backup set was in duty ...

Q29000-ITX

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, IronWolf is a pretty good HDD. Not the best but far from the worst. I use IronWolves 12TB myself.

Still IronWolves can not do sustained copies at full SATA III speeds. I don't know if any SATA III HDD (or SSD) exists that can do a sustained full drive copy at full SATA III speeds.

Less is more...

I haven't compared speeds, but I assume that:

cp -a source destination

...is hard to beat for a local copy. It does the same as a similar rsync command. Recursive copy and keep attributes. Good for testing speed or restoring a backup but rsync is probably better for making backups...

• Worst of all: It seems to become slower ... I wait 2h to copy 900 Gig, and it is now at 600

Q29000-ITX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!