Switching to OMV from unRaid

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • notadmin wrote:

      I am having a problem installing OMV. I kept getting "failed to partition the selected disk". I have 16GB USB. I thought the system requirements is 2GB storage. Is this some kind of bug?
      OMV uses the debian installer but it uses the default of half the ram for swap. So, if you have 32GB or more of ram, I could see this happen. You can always install using the Debian 9 iso and then install OMV on top - forum.openmediavault.org/index…OMV4-on-Debian-9-Stretch/
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      notadmin wrote:

      I am having a problem installing OMV. I kept getting "failed to partition the selected disk". I have 16GB USB. I thought the system requirements is 2GB storage. Is this some kind of bug?
      OMV uses the debian installer but it uses the default of half the ram for swap. So, if you have 32GB or more of ram, I could see this happen. You can always install using the Debian 9 iso and then install OMV on top - forum.openmediavault.org/index…OMV4-on-Debian-9-Stretch/
      I figured it out. I had to purchase a 64GB and format and partition the flashdrive. I set the 48GB for linux-swap and the rest is ext4 format. I noticed that if I don't do this, the installation kept failing.
      So at this point, I got the OMV 4.3 installed on my 64GB flashdrive, but getting this error when I tried to upgrade

      Source Code

      1. Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusiXH6mc' (size=0).
    • notadmin wrote:

      I set the 48GB for linux-swap and the rest is ext4 format. I noticed that if I don't do this, the installation kept failing.
      OMV's installer will re-partition the drive. You should use a blank drive with no partitions for best results.

      notadmin wrote:

      So at this point, I got the OMV 4.3 installed on my 64GB flashdrive, but getting this error when I tried to upgrade
      That is a known error in the older version that is fixed in a later update (4.1.11 I think). Just update from the command line (omv-update) if you can't from the web interface. Although, if you try multiple times, it should work from the web interface eventually.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      OMV's installer will re-partition the drive. You should use a blank drive with no partitions for best results.
      I tried but it kept failing. I was getting the "Failed to partition..." error. I read somewhere that burning the ISO to a cd would fix the problem, but I don't have any CDs or DVD drive.


      ryecoaaron wrote:

      That is a known error in the older version that is fixed in a later update (4.1.11 I think). Just update from the command line (omv-update) if you can't from the web interface. Although, if you try multiple times, it should work from the web interface eventually.
      Is that how you upgrade in CLI?
      I thought the update is command is the normal "apt update && apt dist-upgrade". I rebooted the server and it seems to be working now via the webUI.
    • notadmin wrote:

      Is that how you upgrade in CLI?
      Not usually. It does about the same thing as your commands but is less to type.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • notadmin wrote:

      Question about the flashmemory plugin. Do I need to follow the fstab instruction or just keep the default install and leave it at that?
      It says this is optional, and Techno Life Dad said in his video that he would not recommend this on production.
      The danger is that if you mistype anything your disk becomes read only. You can fix this, but for me the momentary heart attack is not worth the minor improvement.
      Build, Learn, Create.

      How to Videos for OMV

      Post any questions to the forum, so others can benefit from your curiosity. :thumbsup:
      No private support.
    • notadmin wrote:

      So the flashmemory plugin should work right after installing it from plugins?
      Yes. The manual change to fstab just reduces writes a bit more.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • notadmin wrote:

      Am I missing something here?
      Yep. The LUKS step comes before the filesystem. So, you need to undo everything you've done and wipe the drives. Then create the LUKS devices, unlock them, and finally put the filesystem on the LUKS device.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Users Online 1

      1 Guest