Switching to OMV from unRaid

• I posted this on Reddit, but not getting any replies.

Let me paint the picture so that everyone can see my use case and get a proper advice from the community.I'm currently using two unRaid servers both of them are on version 6.5.3 - the current latest version is 6.6.7. I have the primary unRaid with 36TB (mixed of 8TB and 4TB) total and the backup unRaid with 16TB is off-site at parents house.

I'm using these servers to store data backup from family laptops and mobile devices - e.g. documents, videos, and pictures. This is done via some docker containers. I backed up the primary unRaid to the backup unRaid via Syncthing (media) and Duplicati (files and documents for archiving). My parents and siblings use my backup unRaid for media use via the Jellyfin container (this is why I don't use Duplicati to archive the media). I backup my backup unRaid via Duplicati (these are the appdata, flash drive, system). The active services on my backup unRaid server are pihole (local DNS), duckdns (update public IP), Jellyfin (media service), Duplicati and Syncthing. All major services are done on my primary server.

I'm using the following Docker containers and their associated IP address:Beets - bridge
    binhex-airsonic - 10.0.7.24
    binhex-delugevpn - bridge
    binhex-emby - 10.0.7.10
    binhex-krusader - bridge
    binhex-pycharm - 10.0.7.17
    Bitwarden - docker create network proxy (accessible from the Internet via Letsencrypt)
    Booksonic - 10.0.7.14
    CalibreWeb - bridge
    DuckDNS 10.0.7.19
    Duplicati - bridge
    Filebot - bridge
    Letsencrypt - docker create network proxy
    mariadb-photos - bridge
    mariadb-nextcloud - bridge
    Nextcloud - docker create network proxy (accessible from the Internet via Letsencrypt)
    Pihole - 10.0.20.10 (dmz)
    Piwigo - bridge
    RDP-calibre - bridge
    Syncthing - bridge
    unifi-controller - 10.0.7.11
    youtube-dl-server - bridge

I also have a Windows VM that I use as my NVR with the following specs : Windows 10 Pro with 4 vCPU, 4GB RAM and 50 GB vHDD. This VM saves the captured videos to a SMB share that I have on my unRaid server.

I got some plugins that I use "CA Backup/Restore Appdata" that backups my appdata, flash drive and libvirt.img. I also have all my HDD and cache (SSD) disks encrypted except for parity. I have my drives to spin down if they have been idle for 15 minutes. All the writes happen to my cache drive first and the data/files get moved to the array every 8 hours.

I use CyberpowerPC as my UPS. This works our of the box with unRaid. All I have to do is plug the provided USB cable and my server knows that there is an backup battery. The only thing I need to do is set when to shutdown the system when it hits the last 15 minutes of the battery power.

The reason I'm looking for a replacement for my unRaid servers is that I could not, for the life of me, get my servers working anything newer than 6.5.3. I have tried what was suggested at unraid forums and r/unraid, but nothing work. It got to the point that I need to find an alternative to unRaid.

I am thinking to switch to OMV if I get OMV to work that way I have my unRaid servers. Based on what I have gathered so far, it seems like it can replace the unRaid and OMV seems to be a more flexible server than unRaid.Here is what I have put together that I think could address the basic of the things I have on my primary unRaid.

• Use snapRaid to assign my biggest drive as the parity drive and set the rest of the drives as data/content.
    • Use UnionFS (MergeFS) to spread out the files/data across the member of the array/filesystem instead of creating a directory on each disk
    • Use Virtualbox to virtualized my Windows 10 as an NVR
    • The NUT plug-in will be used for my UPS setup
    • Use Duplicati to backup/compress my appdata and VM to a local share
    • The remotemount share plug-in would allow me to mount a remote SMB share from off-site backup server
    • Duplicati will archive the "step 5" to my off-site server via remote SMB share

I believe there is a retention option for Duplicati. I can't remember if this is true. I want to write to the cache first then moved the data to the array at a specific interval.

• I know I mentioned the flash drive several times. For those who are not familiar, this is a way of backing up the entire system. Would you recommend to install OMV on a flash drive with flash plugin?
    • If I install the OMV on a flash drive, can I switch to a different server?
    • If yes on #2, what issues would I get or reinstall OMV is the answer?
    • How hard would it be to upgrade OMV to a newer version?
    • Do I still have to "apt update && apt upgrade" or all updates are done in webUI > Update Management?
    • Can I use the appdata that I have from unRaid and put it on OMV instead of recreating every container that I have from scratch?
    • OMV supports multiple disk format. What disk format would you recommend for SnapRaid with MergeFS?
    • If I were to change my motherboard, what do I need to do with the drives installed (with unRaid I just need to place the drives to their designated slots to prevent data loss - https://ipsassets.unraid.net/u…910b9c2b8fd812fc7c058.PNG)?
    • For encrypting the drives, I would assume this is done via the LUKS plugin, correct?
    • Since I am going to encrypt my drives, do I need to encrypt the parity drive?
    • I noticed that I can do 8 keys for encrypting the disk. What is the purpose of this?
    • Can I import my Windows 10 VM from unRaid (KVM) to OMV (Virtualbox)?
    • How do you update your Docker containers?
    • Is there an automatic Docker container updater?
    • How do you backup your system?
    • If you are using the backup plugin, what method do you use and why?
    • Any plugins that you would recommend and why?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

The remotemount share plug-in would allow me to mount a remote SMB share from off-site backup server

No. Don't use smb over the internet (unless you are using vpn).

Would you recommend to install OMV on a flash drive with flash plugin?

Yes, it works well. I would not use a flash drive without the flashmemory plugin.

If I install the OMV on a flash drive, can I switch to a different server?

Yes but you will have to fix the network settings. omv-firstaid makes that easy.

How hard would it be to upgrade OMV to a newer version?

To a new major version? most of the time this goes well. Depends on your linux skills. To a minor version (4.0 -> 4.1)? Super easy. Done from the updates tab.

Do I still have to "apt update && apt upgrade" or all updates are done in webUI > Update Management?

They both work but the Updates tab works just fine.

OMV supports multiple disk format. What disk format would you recommend for SnapRaid with MergeFS?

Probably ext4

If I were to change my motherboard, what do I need to do with the drives installed (with unRaid I just need to place the drives to their designated slots to prevent data loss

Probably just fix the networking.

For encrypting the drives, I would assume this is done via the LUKS plugin, correct?

Yes

Since I am going to encrypt my drives, do I need to encrypt the parity drive?

Depends on how paranoid you are. People could probably get sensitive info from the parity drive.

Can I import my Windows 10 VM from unRaid (KVM) to OMV (Virtualbox)?

It can be done. You might look at using cockpit instead and then you could keep using kvm (better in my opinion). Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

How do you update your Docker containers?

Is there an automatic Docker container updater?

Look at watchtower - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

How do you backup your system?

If you are using the backup plugin, what method do you use and why?

backup plugin and/or clonezilla. fsarchiver because it works well and allows multiple backups.

Any plugins that you would recommend and why?

resetperms - makes fixing permissions issues easier

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!