Transferring drive pool from OMV2.x to OMV4.x

• So I am beginning my journey to upgrade from OMV 2.x to OMV 4.x. I'm a bit of a noob, but I had help from a friend

The system is used solely for media, Plex and Torrenting.

I have an OS drive, 5 content drives arranged in a union filesystem, and a SnapRAID drive for parity.

I decided to try a fresh install over the weekend. It went well getting everything set up, until I connected the content drives. I made a new Union Filesystem from the same drives, and then tried to connect them to Plex. Well, it didn't work. The system appeared to be rearranging files and chowning them, but then it errored out, and the Plex web interface wouldn't even load when I tried get to it.

The question I have is, what is the best course of action to move a union filesystem over to the new version of OMV? It appears that even drive naming conventions have changed on the new OMV, so I'm a bit lost.

This is not to mention the fact that I pulled my Plex data backup (which is HUGE... over 60GB) to the new system, only to have it all erased when I tried to install Plex using the OMVExtras Plex plugin. But one problem at a time I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Apologies for not selecting the current version, which is 2.x. When I try to edit the post I get an error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

only to have it all erased when I tried to install Plex using the OMVExtras Plex plugin

It only removes the library after copying it to the new location. That said, I have been telling people for months to not use the plugin. use docker instead.

what is the best course of action to move a union filesystem over to the new version of OMV?

Which union filesystem were you using? OMV 2.x had three available. And you don't really move the union filesystem. You are just creating a new pool on top of existing filesystems. When you created the pool, it was most likely fine but the plex plugin was moving files to the new shared folder you selected. This does not do things in the best way. Just one of the many reasons I want to kill the plex plugin with fire.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von ryecoaaron

It only removes the library after copying it to the new location. That said, I have been telling people for months to not use the plugin. use docker instead.

This worked like a dream, thank you. Docker is love. Docker is life.

Zitat von ryecoaaron

Which union filesystem were you using? OMV 2.x had three available. And you don't really move the union filesystem. You are just creating a new pool on top of existing filesystems. When you created the pool, it was most likely fine but the plex plugin was moving files to the new shared folder you selected. This does not do things in the best way. Just one of the many reasons I want to kill the plex plugin with fire.

It was aufs. And as you said, once I moved to the docker Plex Media Server, it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help. I tried to mark the thread resolved, but it wouldn't let me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!