How do shared folders work in OMV?

• Hi Everyone,

How exactly do shared folders work within OMV? I don't see entries for mounts in the fstab file or anything like that.

For a bit of background - I've been having issues with shared folders not working correctly when they point to a UnionFS filessystem. Instead of writing to the UnionFS path, they end up writing to my root install filesystem after a reboot. If I delete and re-create the shared folder, things work fine until my next reboot. I am tempted just to switch what I can over to manually created mounts in the fstab file, but would rather just do everything through OMV as designed.

Thanks!

• I don't use the UnionFS plugin, I configure mergerfs entries in fstab, and these do not point to shared folders. No problems.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For a bit of background - I've been having issues with shared folders not working correctly when they point to a UnionFS filessystem.

In what way? Having just moved over to using mergerfs and snapraid I've not had a problem, I have 4 drives one is for the snapraid parity the other 3 are set under mergerfs with mount name home. Each share I create I create under that mount, so when I create an smb share say for music the shared folder selected is Music [on home, Music/]
    If you are referring to /sharedfolders rather than the absolute path /srv/<fuse mount>/sharename then yes there can be a problem if you try to reference those in some way. There is a long thread here regarding /sharedfolders and mergerfs, but I've had no issue as I don't reference those for instance in docker I use /srv.

• In what way? Having just moved over to using mergerfs and snapraid I've not had a problem, I have 4 drives one is for the snapraid parity the other 3 are set under mergerfs with mount name home. Each share I create I create under that mount, so when I create an smb share say for music the shared folder selected is Music [on home, Music/]
    If you are referring to /sharedfolders rather than the absolute path /srv/<fuse mount>/sharename then yes there can be a problem if you try to reference those in some way. There is a long thread here regarding /sharedfolders and mergerfs, but I've had no issue as I don't reference those for instance in docker I use /srv.

I am infact using /sharedfolders/ rather then the absolute path and have noticed a lot of problem with that. I was wondering how the shared folders work so I can possibly come up with a work around, but that thread seems to have a lot of good information.

Where do you keep your docker config? Ideally, I would like to keep it on mergerfs but it doesn't seem like a great option due to the issues with shared folders.

Also, if you need to rebuild do you just adjust the /srv/<fuse mount> in fstab to match the old GUID so you don't have to manually re-configure everything?

• I am infact using /sharedfolders/ rather then the absolute path and have noticed a lot of problem with that. I was wondering how the shared folders work so I can possibly come up with a work around, but that thread seems to have a lot of good information.
    Where do you keep your docker config? Ideally, I would like to keep it on mergerfs but it doesn't seem like a great option due to the issues with shared folders.

Also, if you need to rebuild do you just adjust the /srv/<fuse mount> in fstab to match the old GUID so you don't have to manually re-configure everything?

I only use absolute paths for mergerfs mountpoints manually defined in fstab (outside the openmediavault stanza) and I do not use the UnionFS plugin. These manual definitions in fstab are a one time thing made possible by careful planning and use of globbing in the fstab statements. I have added quite a few disks since beginning with mergerfs and I have not touched the original fstab definitions or added more of them.

I keep my individual docker container configs on my rootfs /home/username/.config directory. The Docker base path is on a data drive and this must be defined in OMV as a shared folder to be able to select it in the drop-down box. You could leave it at the default /var/lib/docker but I do not do this as it does grow over time (unpredictably) and I don't want it on the rootfs anyway. I would never use a mergerfs mountpoint here as this can cause these files to be spread across more than drive breaking docker if you have have a disk drop offline or otherwise become unavailable.

I don't quite understand your last question regarding having to reconfigure everything.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where do you keep your docker config?

:) I have another drive I keep those on so it's totally separate from mergerfs, I have 6 drives + the usb boot flash. In essence you could place the docker config on a specific drive even though that drive is part of mergerfs.

Also, if you need to rebuild

Rebuild in what way? You shouldn't need to touch fstab you should be able to do it all in the GUI.

• In essence you could place the docker config on a specific drive even though that drive is part of mergerfs.

What do you do to backup this drive?

Rebuild in what way? You shouldn't need to touch fstab you should be able to do it all in the GUI.

If your boot drive fails and you need to rebuild it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you do to backup this drive?

Ok, 6 drives; 3 for mergrefs which are the data drives for snapraid, 1 drive for snapraid parity, 1 small 2.5 drive for docker configs, 1 drive for rsync to back up the rest. :thumbup:

If your boot drive fails and you need to rebuild it.

I have 2 usb flash drives one in use and one spare, once a month shutdown the server and image the usb to W10 desktop, flash new image to second flash drive, then connect that and start my server. Probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me, so there's one flash drive in use and the second is backup/spare.

• What's the benefit of not using the UnionFS plugin?

The UnionFS plugin allows you to specify only entire hard drives in the union. This would be OK if all your merged drives only had data on them that you wish to be merged. But if you have other data on your drives that you do not want to appear in the union, this data cannot be excluded. Also, using the plugin gives you one and only one union.

Setting mergerfs up manually allows you to merge entire drives, existing mountpoints, or any combination of both. And you can have as many mountpoints as you want, not just the single coarse one that the plugin provides.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!