omv configuration/setup considerations help out

• Hello
    Even though first time writing here...... I ve watched plenty of installation/configuration vids, read many threads and have set up omv OS 3 times in two different systems.
    I installed omv (in an 128gb ssd after partitioned /resized it to 20gb/rest for vm probably and appdata store)for my purposes lately in a pentium g5400 and and asrock mother with 6 sata ports and 8gb ram inside a u-nas nc 400 enclosure (many customizations there to fit a noctua low profile 9i which was hitting a metal portion of the box....). My purpose is to have a central store for my music library (which consists of 1,3tb for now at least and was creating this archive for over a decade now).
    Even though I ve read in some places that using Snapraid has advantages only in big files in size (while mp3's are small and hundreds of thousands plenty in number) i went with snapraid and configured it as lets say RAID 5 (will be using one more 4tb disk for parity - still have 2 used independently for music and data). And here goes my questions - not findings yet
    1a) Is there a meaning in setting accoustics and performance to low και spindow in an ssd since its not mechanical?
    1b) Similar in bios is there a point setting sata aggressive link power maangement in a ssd ?
    2)Any plugin to see in the webui (and not cli) cpu temp? or a more centralized plugin with more sensors among them and the cpu that i need to monitor
    3)If I want to maintain/fix the array for some reason in unraid i could just stop the array inside the webui, here is there a similar way or i just go and unmount the disks (even though i think that if it formats them and mounts them once it doesnt let you unmount them - probably because they are being referenced by shares?)
    4)Most important of all....which is the best!!!! not the fastest (even though that would be interesting to know also for someone tested all the ways) way to transfer my data (small and thousands of files) to the raid but i want something like verification afterwards
    -though to plug in a usb3 port upon the nas the external hdd with tha data to be moved mount it to the omv (its ntfs) and making a share to use two different windows and copy paste with terra copy
    -make the transfer through ftp because it has some kind of verification inside its mechanism maybe
    -using one of the many explorers like cloudcommander, md commander ... etc?
    -Do you have something to propose which will be the most reliable solution with proven verification patterns?

Thank you in advance!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

...not even one answering one of my questions? Are they so simple to find

Patience......

Probably posted to a guru only site

Nope. That is why you didn't get an instant answer. There aren't a lot of people on the forum that can answer your questions.

1a - nope
    1b - nope
    2 - There was but the author isn't maintaining it anymore.
    3 - No idea how unraid works but it depends on what kind of raid you are using in OMV (mdadm, zfs, btrfs, snapraid, etc). Personally, I wouldn't unmount an array while services are running. I would boot into single user mode or boot a rescue disk like systemrescuecd (omv-extras can add a grub entry) to do work on an array.
    4 - Use the usb backup plugin. It will use rsync to copy the files to a shared folder on the array. Much faster than most of your ideas and rsync is very reliable.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your answers. So I ll stick to your final answer. I know about usb backup-used it in a previous demo installation (didn't know though was using rsync) Still after copying the data, how to verify them, even afterwards if not at the time of transfer?

Also what is the difference in the rsync option resides inside omv extra? As for-told I already used usb backup and did a small portion of my data copied to the raid but didnt have the rsync option enabled in the omv extras. Does the backup plugin have it embedded?

Thank you once more

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still after copying the data, how to verify them, even afterwards if not at the time of transfer?

What do you mean by verify? With the usbbackup plugin, you could unplug the drive and plug it back in. If it didn't transfer anything, you know the first copy worked. If you are referring to a checksum check, you would need to run rsync manually with the checksum flag. That would not be fast though. I trust rsync.

Also what is the difference in the rsync option resides inside omv extra?

What rsync option? The backup plugin? That is only for backing up the OS filesystem. It uses the same rsync command though.

didnt have the rsync option enabled in the omv extras.

Not sure what this means but usbbackup is a core plugin of OMV and doesn't need anything omv-extras at all.

Does the backup plugin have it embedded?

No. rsync is a command installed on just about every Linux system. So, it just "uses" the command.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsync will tell you if it can't copy a file. If you are getting corruption from a simple copy, there is something wrong with the system though. The checksum flag would be the right thing to do.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!