No notification mail possible - postfix error

• Hello friends,

after installation of OMV4 there is no notifiaction mail possible.
    The same config in OMV2 is functional.

OMV4:

postfix status

postfix: Postfix is running with backwards-compatible default settings
    postfix: See http://www.postfix.org/COMPATIBILITY_README.html for details
    postfix: To disable backwards compatibility use "postconf compatibility_level=2" and "postfix reload"
    postfix/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 10732

OMV4 notification not possible:

OMV2 notifications possible:

Do anyone know something about this behaviour of postfix?

Thanks in advance

• Thank you for your reply.
    You are right, but no config is functional. I'm in contact with posteo support to solve the problem.
    Can i ignore the message "Postfix is running with backwards-compatible default settings" ?
    Strange, the same setting in old OMV2 is functional.

• I run into the same problems with notifications via SMTP server "posteo.de", port 587 and SSL/TL until I entered "mail.posteo.de" as SMTP server instead of just "posteo.de". It works now as desired.

• I've already found this information from another Postfix user problem on the web.
    Unfortunately Posteo did not support postfix settings after my request.
    There is also no official information about the SMTP server "mail.posteo.de".
    But Postfix is functional, I can agree.

Thank you

• Sorry for resurrecting this thread but has anyone else started having problems with notifications on "mail.posteo.de" a short while ago?
    It was working for years here and suddenly i'm getting refused connections from mail.posteo.de

Version 6.3.3-1 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v6 @ 3.30GHz

Kernel Linux 6.0.0-0.deb11.6-amd64

• Sorry for resurrecting this thread but has anyone else started having problems with notifications on "mail.posteo.de" a short while ago?
    It was working for years here and suddenly i'm getting refused connections from mail.posteo.de

Just noticed that postfix on OMV 5 has been getting refused connections since late July here as well

• With help from the Posteo support team (thanks!) I was able to sort out this issue:

mail.posteo.de that was mentioned above was never used as an SMTP relay, it was rather a redirection to posteo.de. This subdomain hasn't been in use for some time now. When using posteo.de instead, Postfix would try an MX lookup and in return receive a timeout for mx0*.posteo.de which is not meant for sending e-mails.

What resolves this issue, is setting posteo.de in square brackets as the SMTP server, thereby disabling MX lookup (see: https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost).

• Offizieller Beitrag

With help from the Posteo support team (thanks!) I was able to sort out this issue:

mail.posteo.de that was mentioned above was never used as an SMTP relay, it was rather a redirection to posteo.de. This subdomain hasn't been in use for some time now. When using posteo.de instead, Postfix would try an MX lookup and in return receive a timeout for mx0*.posteo.de which is not meant for sending e-mails.

What resolves this issue, is setting posteo.de in square brackets as the SMTP server, thereby disabling MX lookup (see: https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost).

OMV6 is doing this by default if the environment variable OMV_POSTFIX_MAIN_RELAYHOST_MXLOOKUP_ENABLE is set to no (which is the default). See https://github.com/openmediava…tfix/files/main.cf.j2#L36

• Many thanks for explaining what was going on, yes i'm still on OMV5. I can confirm with [posteo.de] mail delivery is now working again.

Version 6.3.3-1 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v6 @ 3.30GHz

Kernel Linux 6.0.0-0.deb11.6-amd64

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!