Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working

• Resolved
    • OMV 4.x
    • Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working

My Nanopi M4 arrived last week and I've been trying to install OMV with OMV_4_NanoPi_M4.img.xz ever since. I am using the SanDisc 16GB micro-sd that came with it using etcher.io (I also tried dd and another 32GB card), but while it is installing OMV I can't see anything on the screen I attched via HDMI. The red led is on and the green led is blinking twice repeatedly until it stops after a few minutes.
      I don't know if the headless installation was successful as I can't find an IP address for the M4. Connecting via ethernet and using IP ADDR.

Lubuntu desktop 16.04 for RK3399 works like a charm, however.

Any ideas what I can do to make it communicate with the HDMI screen when installing?

Thank you so much in advance,
      Michael
    • FloR wrote:

Any ideas what I can do to make it communicate with the HDMI screen when installing?
      Unfortunately not. I would assume you use the image I created (from here?) but I've not the slightest idea whether HDMI out works or not since I never attached a display to any of my M4.

I hope you're aware that the M4 just as NEO4 are prone to undervoltage issues (when not using FriendlyELEC's ultra short USB-C cable it's very likely that the voltage between PSU and board drops to below 4.5V and then HDMI doesn't work any more or even the whole board freezes).

Situation with the FriendlyELEC image is different since they allow the CPU cores only to clock up to 1.8/1.4 GHz while the OMV image allows 2.0/1.5GHz which results in higher consumption and in undervoltage situations also lower supply voltage. I fixed this later but the fix comes as an Armbian update and if you're not able to successfully boot the board obviously no update can be applied.

TL;DR: Maybe it's a simple underpowering issue so please elaborate on how you power the device...
    • Yes, I used your image for the installation (thank you for providing this for us!).

What I should have mentioned as well is that I use the SATA hat and power the whole thing with a 12V 5A 60W PSU through the hat: amzn.to/2U7D1mO

According to FriendlyELEC this should power both the board and the SATA hat.

At the risk of sounding ignorant: What's the normal procedure with a headless installation after the image has been installed? How do find the device in order to set up the NAS?

Thank you for your help!
    • FloR wrote:

According to FriendlyELEC this should power both the board and the SATA hat.
      It does. Never had any underpowering using this connection.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • tkaiser wrote:

ping nanopim4 / nanopim4
      I think it would be helpful to mention the hostname for the different images on the download page - even if a lot of users might not read it ;)
      Or is there some kind of convention?
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

Or is there some kind of convention?
      Kind of. At image creation time hostname will be set automagically to filename of config file minus suffix: github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/boards

But it's useless to mention this on the download page since DHCP with dynamic DNS updates is 'too young' to be considered. Let's talk again in 30 years when the mechanism exists and works for half a century...
    • tkaiser wrote:

But it's useless to mention this on the download page since DHCP with dynamic DNS updates is 'too young' to be considered. Let's talk again in 30 years when the mechanism exists and works for half a century...
      Yes, innovation takes it time. But "stetiger Tropfen höhlt den Stein".

Maybe sombody comes up with a better translation than DeppL "steady dripping caves the stone" or google "steady drips hollow the stone".
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • In order to find the IP address for my local network:

ip addr

In my case, I continued with:

nmap -sP 192.168.0.2/24

It gave me 192.168.0.6 for my nanopi

which I accessed via ssh:

ssh root@192.168.0.6

after which I was able to access the nanopi normally through my browser entering its IP.

The rest is well documented and I thank you all for helping me find my way!
    • FYI, here is another possible solution.

I just purchased NanoPi M4 and had problems too. Not only wasn't I getting HDMI, but the device wasn't even showing up on my LAN when I ran an IP address scanner.

So, what I did was install the latest version of Debian Stretch:
      armbian.com/nanopi-m4/

Then I ran the very good instructions some kind person posted here:
      openmediavault.readthedocs.io/…stallation/on_debian.html

Worked like a charm :)
    • Sure, although the results aren't spectacular.

I'm in the office & don't have my Ethernet dongle with me. The NanoPI is connected to the hub via Ethernet cable, but my PC is running over 5Ghz WiFi. Plus, the test is to an external USB 3.0 drive, so that's a big bottleneck right there. Don't judge me, I gotta do this on a shoe string :)

None-the-less, I'm a bit surprised by how slow the read/write times (9.6 MB/s & 8.4 MB/s) appeared in LanTest.

As a comparison, I'd uploaded & downloaded a 3GB file via FTP. upload speeds were about 22 MB/s & downloads were 28 MB/s.

Cheers

Brett Sh
      Images
      • brettsh-lan-test-2019-04-29.png

195.43 kB, 753×892, viewed 28 times
    • brettsh wrote:

The NanoPI is connected to the hub via Ethernet cable, but my PC is running over 5Ghz WiFi
      Then results are worthless especially since you chose another profile than requested (I asked for '10 GbE' numbers but you tested with 'Fast Ethernet' which will produce totally different and especially irrelevant numbers as explained in the link before -- 64k vs. 1024k block sizes makes a huge difference)
    • New

Has anyone found a solution to the HDMI issue yet? I spend quite a bit of time yesterday trying to figure out why there was no display till I found this thread. OMV on NanoPi M4 works fine headless (once I read the instructions, of course), but the display doesn't. I can see benefit in having the display work to troubleshoot network issues, if any. Thanks!
    • New

vko wrote:

Has anyone found a solution to the HDMI issue yet?
      All you can do here is to
      • upgrade all packages to latest version (if it's an issue with software then it might be fixed with a newer kernel package)
      • ensure that you power the M4 with a 5.2V or 5.3V PSU with an ultra short cable (if it's an underpowering issue only you and your powering setup can fix it).

For troubleshooting not just network issues there are USB serial adapters for a few bucks. Very handy for early boot issues. But the RK3399 has a really high serial baud rate so ensure you grab a compatible one (search Armbian forum or vendor's wiki).
    • New

tkaiser wrote:

All you can do here is to
      • upgrade all packages to latest version (if it's an issue with software then it might be fixed with a newer kernel package)
      • ensure that you power the M4 with a 5.2V or 5.3V PSU with an ultra short cable (if it's an underpowering issue only you and your powering setup can fix it).

For troubleshooting not just network issues there are USB serial adapters for a few bucks. Very handy for early boot issues. But the RK3399 has a really high serial baud rate so ensure you grab a compatible one (search Armbian forum or vendor's wiki).

• Upgrading the packages has fixed the issue, the HDMI display works perfectly now.
      • I'm powering my M4 with a 12V/5A power supply via the SATA Hat, so there is enough power.
      • I'll look into the serial adapter solution as suggested, may come handy one day.

Thanks for taking time to respond with such excellent suggestions. :thumbsup:
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest