Fedora + Win10 shares

• Hi,

I'll need your advice on file sharing for a Linux + Windows environment.
    I have always had Linux PCs with a NAS4Free server and NFS shares. My NAS needed a lifting so I decided to update my hardware. I took the opportunity to test other OS for NAS, I loved OMV for simplicity and possibilities (I am also more comfortable with Linux than with BSD, although ZFS I loved too).
    In any case, my needs have also changed over time. I have now, 2 Laptops with Fedora, 2 Mini PC Media Center with Fedora (probably with Plex afterwards) and 3 desktops PC with Windows 10.
    What would be the best sharing protocol to use with OMV for this PC mix? Use NFS and SMB at the same time? I'm afraid of having permissions issues.
    Thx for you suggestions :)

• What would be the best sharing protocol to use with OMV for this PC mix? Use NFS and SMB at the same time?

I would never access the same shares with two different protocols at the same time. Reasons why expressed here and there. That said I would only use SMB in your situation but on the Fedora boxes you need to take care that you don't run into gvfs related SMB slowdowns (if you experience very low SMB performance when mounting your shares via GUI check whether things improve when using mount.cifs instead).

BTW: No need to abandon ZFS. Use Proxmox kernel and the ZFS plugin and enjoy all the ZFS benefits with OMV too.

• That's what I thought for the protocols, thanks for the explanations.
    I understand the risk of slowness that I may have with the SMB protocol on Fedora. In a Windows environment, we no longer speak about CIFS but rather SMBv3 which has become the standard since Win8. For my strictly internal use, at home, is there a disadvantage to using CIFS instead of SMB if I ever have a slow problem?

Oh wow, I just saw that Fedora's file manager (Nautilus) is already seeing the SMB share (smb://server name/sharefolder). I have enough files to transfer from my old NAS, 2TB, to do my tests :) . I will be able to test the flow before doing an automount with fstab.
    I'm surprised, I don't even need to automount in fstab, from Nautilus I can save the password of my personal folder and mount the shared folder on demand.
    So simple, even simpler than the NFS protocol. With NFS, you have to use autofs and do the configuration for the same result.
    It's so simple that it looks weird :) .

• In a Windows environment, we no longer speak about CIFS but rather SMBv3

Don't let you fool by names. SMB dialects will be negotiated based on capabilities on both sides.

• In Linux the older client side implementation is called mount.smbfs which is deprecated since a long time (prior to kernel 3 IIRC) and has been replaced with mount.cifs. So on the command line you need something with CIFS in its name to get SMB3 support. How desktop environments deal with this I don't know since I don't use Linux as desktop
    • On macOS for example it's exactly the opposite. When you specify the protocol to use in the 'Connect to server' dialog then cifs:// is the backwards oriented variant (starting with macOS 10.9 this will force a SMB1 connection') while using smb:// will allow negotiation of SMB2 connections if the SMB server supports it (prior to macOS 10.9 cifs:// and smb:// were synonyms AFAIR)

Even if there's is cifs mentioned in a tool's name it's always about SMB in this decade.

BTW: If you're using Nautilus it's very likely that you're also using gvfs and as such suffer from low SMB performance (not a Samba thing but a 100% client issue you can fix by switching to mount.cifs)

• Thank you for that clarification.
    Basically, why be simple if you can do complicated ^^ In any case we can't guess, we must know it. I have never worked on a mixed machine park, at home I always had Linux and at work I only manage Windows systems.

I did my transfer tests and the results are really correct
    Context:
    - Same PC, first test with Win10 and second test with Fedora 29 (gvfs)
    - Gigabit network
    - Transfer of a 10gb file containing several videos
    - SMB protocol

Win10 PC ---------- 20 meters ----------> Switch gigabit Trendnet ---------- 3 meters ----------> OMV
    Transfer between 75 and 80 mb/s

Fedora PC ---------- 20 meters ----------> Switch gigabit Trendnet ---------- 3 meters ----------> OMV
    Transfer between 70 and 75 mb/s

In my case, gvfs works very well even if I lose about 5-10 mb/s compared to Win10 but it is not dramatic. The advantage of Nautilus (gvfs) is that the sharing is on demand, no need to mount at startup of the OS and no settings to do.
    For once everything works the first time properly :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!