Do not install the proftpd-basic update on OMV 3.x

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you install the proftpd-basic update on OMV 3.x, this will uninstall the openmediavault package (and all plugins). I haven't into it yet but I'm guessing proftpd-mod-vroot has to be recompiled for this version.

See this post for how to update to OMV 4.x - omv-release-upgrade failed (apt-get update failed, too)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any chance of reverting this issue if someone (me) has already done that before reading this?

Did it uninstall the openmediavault package? If it didn't, you should be fine. If it did, that would be a good time to upgrade to OMV 4.x (OMV 3.x is EOL'd).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi there

Any chance of reverting this issue if someone (me) has already done that before reading this? :whistling:

Cheers!

unplug your data drives and install OmV 4... Problem solved

If anything this will stop the onslaught of posts about their sources list being broken.. ;)

• Hi there

Did it uninstall the openmediavault package? If it didn't, you should be fine. If it did, that would be a good time to upgrade to OMV 4.x (OMV 3.x is EOL'd).

Unfortunately yes, all the omv-* commands are gone... I've tried reinstalling openmediavault and I get ann error regarding proftpd-mod-vroot so I haven't been able to go further.

unplug your data drives and install OmV 4... Problem solved
    If anything this will stop the onslaught of posts about their sources list being broken.. ;)

Yikes! I will have to find time to do a clean install of OMV 4 then...

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've tried reinstalling openmediavault and I get ann error regarding proftpd-mod-vroot so I haven't been able to go further.

The ABI changed. Not sure if @votdev wants to fix this.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I do not see any issues in Debian 9 (OMV4) and OMV3 is EOL, so it will not get updates anymore.

I was running 4.x and after an update I have lost OMV completely , and am getting the following error if I try to re-install it from command line.

root@mymediavault:/etc/apt# apt-get install openmediavault
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: proftpd-mod-vroot but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Also , got a bunch of automated emails,

Connection Failed nginx
    Does not exist omv-engined
    Execution failed omv-engined

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was running 4.x and after an update I have lost OMV completely , and am getting the following error if I try to re-install it from command line.

After checking, Debian 9 didn't have a proftpd update. So, your system must still have something leftover from OMV 3.x. What is the output of dpkg -l | grep openm

• Offizieller Beitrag

however does it matter that I never had OMV 3, I started with OMV 4.x?

Yes but I still don't understand why you are having this problem. None of my OMV 4.x systems are because there was no proftpd update on Debian 9.

• I have this problem too and I know OMV3 is EOL, but I'm still using that version only for iscsi plugin.

@votdev are you sure that there will no be an update to fix this problem with proftpd-mod-vroot ?

OMV5 with iscsi is not ready and we still need OMV3 for iscsi plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem here is that a normal apt-get update will block the installation of the proftpd package because it changes the package version which is not the default on a Debian system. If users do not force the installation via apt-get dist-upgrade then they need the current proftpd-mod-vroot version. When i upload a new proftpd-mod-vroot compiled against the proftpd dist-upgrade version all other installation will break. Because of that i will not recompile and upload a new proftpd-mod-vroot package.

But everyone can simply compile the package manually.

Bash
    # echo "deb-src http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/ erasmus main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install build-essential fakeroot devscripts
    # apt-get source proftpd-mod-vroot
    # apt-get build-dep proftpd-mod-vroot
    # cd proftpd-mod-vroot-0.9.3/
    # debuild -b -uc -us
    # dpkg -i ../proftpd-mod-vroot_0.9.3-1_amd64.deb
  • Thanks @votdev I made a Debian 8 installation and I compile the proftpd package as you suggest. After that I can install OMV3 3.0.99 with kernel 3.16.0-8 and iscsi target openmediavault-iscsitarget plugin 3.1.6

The bad new is that when I enable iscsi destination I got the following error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'iscsitarget' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for iscsitarget.service failed. See 'systemctl status iscsitarget.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

Is still possible to use iscsitarget plugin on OMV3? I've got others machines running the same configuration without problems, but in a new installation I got this error.

• Thanks @votdev for you reply, it's clear that now there's no way to have a working OMV3 with iscsi plugin. My problem still remain: i was trying to install OMV3 with iscsi plugin because i need to access data inside 4 hd (on controller hardware raid 5) that I used as iscsi target with OMV3 until yesterday. What can you suggest me? Is there a way to access again this block with OMV? Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can get OMV installed again, disable backports and install the 3.2 kernel. I'm pretty sure the iscsi module still compiles against it.

• @kenziner, here is a solution for that issue without having to uninstall OMV3 or change to Debian 9. I have 4x OMV3 servers and fixed the issue on all of them.
    1. apt install curl wget apt-transport-https dirmngr
    2. apt-get -f install
    3. run again line 1. if you have to
    4. wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debia….3.5-1.1+deb8u2_amd64.deb
    5. dpkg -i proftpd-basic_1.3.5-1.1+deb8u2_amd64.deb
    6. apt-get install openmediavault
    7. systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined
    8. systemctl restart openmediavault-engined.service
    9. do not update with an automatic install of proftpd-basic again

• The problem here is that a normal apt-get update will block the installation of the proftpd package because it changes the package version which is not the default on a Debian system. If users do not force the installation via apt-get dist-upgrade then they need the current proftpd-mod-vroot version. When i upload a new proftpd-mod-vroot compiled against the proftpd dist-upgrade version all other installation will break. Because of that i will not recompile and upload a new proftpd-mod-vroot package.

But everyone can simply compile the package manually.

Bash
    # echo "deb-src http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/ erasmus main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install build-essential fakeroot devscripts
    # apt-get source proftpd-mod-vroot
    # apt-get build-dep proftpd-mod-vroot
    # cd proftpd-mod-vroot-0.9.3/
    # debuild -b -uc -us
    # dpkg -i ../proftpd-mod-vroot_0.9.3-1_amd64.deb

Hey there,

I ran into the same problem. Just installed Updates from the WebGui (wanted to upgrade to OMV 4...) and yeah - problems over problems.

I followed your instruction and step 5 is not working for me:

"Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
    proftpd-dev : Hängt ab von: libssl-dev soll aber nicht installier werden".

I just want to get OMV 3 running again to upgrade to OMV 4 without any loss of data.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings
    Andy

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just want to get OMV 3 running again to upgrade to OMV 4 without any loss of data.

You don't need to get OMV 3 running to upgrade to OMV 4. omv-release-upgrade failed (apt-get update failed, too)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!