I want to build a NAS very powerfull.

• hello,
    I want to build a NAS very powerfull.

==========================
    2 x10T ironwolf
    2 xSSd( help me to choose)
    1 xM2 drive for boot
    1xCorsair CC-9011070-WW Carbide Series Air 240 Windowed Mini ATX/ITX High Airflow Cube Case for PC - Black
    1xIntel® Core i9-9900K 8X 3.6GHz Boxed
    1xASRock Asro Z390M-ITX/AC Z390
    32gb ram
    ===========================

I wan tot run a schedule backup every night from my server (1tera)
    next cloud (almost 12 users )
    talk cloud (same users)
    plex media center
    virtual box with 2 virtual machines on it

Please help me with this setup. I don't want to waste money on resources and have no benefit from it.
    The Nas will be used as regular desktop computer if i decide to put windows on a virtual machine.

Thanks

• Hy and thanks for you reply.
    The setup have two options
    1. I install Windows and have the openmediavault on a wmware machine with the sata drivers directly on it
    2. I install openmediavault and use the virtual box machine to install Windows.
    I only need to use this nas like a regular desktop to work (i need Windows). No need a very powerful machine for desktop use. Only office.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• I dont see a point in going with a 9900k. Better go with a platform being able of supporting ecc ram. Single Thread speed is not too much of an issue here.
    Also I would rather go with small hdds and more. Rebuilding redundancy on a single 10tb drive takes about a week. A week of hard usage to a single point of failure. Not the best of ideas to be honest.
    SSDs for what exactly and how big?

• I already have a rock64pro nas but is not working very good. When i have some big traffic or the nextcloud users connect the system is less responsive.
    I need this to be very fast. I have 100mb/sec bandwidth.
    Help me to choose the right hardware please.
    I don't know what ssd to use maybe you have a suggestion for me.

• First of all, do not virtualize omv on a windows machine of availability is of any concern!
    I honestly think that you should rather build two machines at 16gb ram, one as desktop and one as server. 100mb/s is really not much. Even at 2gb/s with active compression and 5 clients writing my cpu is barely used.
    For Office only you can use a nice 2400G build at around 500€.
    I used to rent one of those virtualized servers, 4 cores/8threads of a 2680v3 with 12gb of ram. I could easily run netcloud with two dozent users and onlyoffice implementation, sharelate and phabricator at the same time. I think ou are totally overpowering your system. The 9900k is a cpu of not great value. It is only a good choice if you really need to squeeze out the last bit of single thread performance, otherwise other cpus just have better value for money.
    What budget would be left for the server?
    What is the goal for the ssds? I wonder because 100mb/s is easily done by spinning disks today.
    Maybe lets talk about budget first and what the second virtual machine should do.
    Just a few thoughts:
    - two machines, each dimensioned smaller
    - maybe choose an ecc platform for the nas
    - ssds maybe not necessary
    - dont use 2*10tb disks, rather 4*4tb or something like that
    - dont use a 9900k, if you want to be in this ballpark, better look at ryzen 2700x, although I would rather go with a refurbished 2680 v2 or something similar

• Hello.
    I can use two machines for sure. The desktop computer is not a priority right now. The NAS is.
    What do you think avbout this server?
    It is a unused sever. I changed this with something new. This is retried.
    I can use this? The problem i have with this is power consumption and the noise.

• Measure the power consumption and check the business case of this one and paying the electricity vs. a new system (and its price minus the price you can sell the existing server for).

Your requirements are not very high. Any recent core i5 or ryzen5 will do easily. SSD for the operating system only.
    No raid, but backup instead.
    Raid only if you need 100% availability. Then with smaller disks.
    Unionfs/mergerfs to combine drives to one instead of complex raid setups.
    A modern file system (btrfs or zfs)
    16g Ram.
    Do not virtualize OMV.

• Hello,
    sorry for my delay. my option (after calculation) is to make a new NAS .
    You have any suggestion for my setup? I will go with a I7 16 gb of ram 2 ssd.
    I already have two 10t disks on my exiting ROCK64pro .

• Yes

Most probably that's the culprit. Your board being stuck in IO. You can check easily:

Code
    sudo apt install sysstat
    iostat 10

If Nextcloud users access the shares and responsiveness sucks and you get high %iowait percentage then you know slow OS drive storage is the culprit.

BTW: '100mb/sec' is a joke and any of the good SBC easily exceeds this.

• Most probably that's the culprit. Your board being stuck in IO. You can check easily:

Code
    sudo apt install sysstat
    iostat 10

If Nextcloud users access the shares and responsiveness sucks and you get high %iowait percentage then you know slow OS drive storage is the culprit.

BTW: '100mb/sec' is a joke and any of the good SBC easily exceeds this.

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
    42.93 0.00 6.49 7.84 0.00 42.73

================================================================================
    %iowait is going to 10 if i only want to see some pictures on nextcloud only with one user active.....

'100mb/sec' it is my internet speed up and download. it is not the SBC hdd speed. Maybe i have this because of cache memory?

• Wow, I would do a lot just to get a symetric gbit internetconnection!
    Yor system is bottlenecked by the sd. Try to first get another system drive and check if the nas is already fast enough.
    If not, dont aim for i7 architecture. You dont do much computing and its waisted money. Better invest in ecc ram, more effizient power supply or a nice meal with somebody you care for.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!