My NAS build proposal, Plex server required

• I've been running an old Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials box. I'm not a server expert at all, this was just a hobby project. The server is getting old, though, and I'd like to setup a NAS to replace it as I do not really need all the options of a server.
    I was thinking of buying a ready-made Synology at first, but that is expensive for what I get in hardware, also I'd like to keep with the DIY theme.

I would like to upgrade my current 17TB to a lot more. Either 48TB or 60TB, depending on the RAID version I choose. I do have al large collection of media files ^^ . Because of that I would like to run Plex Media Server on this machine. Currently it's running on my daily driver, not ideal. I would like to run backups of three windows PC's/laptops and a Macbook Pro.

So this is the build I am proposing:

- MSI X470 Gaming Pro, socket AM4 motherboard
    - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, (I chose this 'G' version, because I think I'll need the integrated graphics for the Plex media server. Also I don't need a seperate graphics card now)
    - Noctua NH-U12S cpu-koeler (the Ryzen has a boxed cooler, but I hope the Noctua will be more quiet)
    - Corsair 32 GB DDR4-2666 (is 32 GB enough?)
    - Sharkoon WPM Gold ZERO 550W
    - WD Blue SN500 NVMe, 250 GB SSD (for OMV)
    - 6 x Seagate IronWolf ST12000VN0007 12TB
    - an older but quiet miditower I have lying around with enough place for the HDD's

I'm new to OMV and I hope to get your input on a few questions

- has anyone tried the Ryzen 2400G for OMV and plex? Any issues to be expected?
    - Would this build work for Plex trancoding of 3 1080p streams or 1 4K stream?
    - is 32 GB RAM enough for this build?
    - is putting the OS on the NVMe drive a good option?
    - does OMV support adding a 10Gb NIC later on?
    - is the extra security of RAID 6 over RAID 5 worth it in your opinion?

Thankfull for any reponse.

Bert-Jan

• Offizieller Beitrag

250gig SSD for omv is massive. Unless you have a ginormous Plex database, you would very likely not even need 10.

I would think 32gigs of ram would be way overkill, but I don't transcode. That's a lot of Ram for almost almost anything. Transcoding I believe is more CPU hungry than ram hungry.

You don't really need much for graphics. The Plex server is just that, a server. It actually is designed to be headless, and then managed via a web browser. You play your Plex media via a Plex client (usually installed on a computer or TV box like a Shield, Firestick, or other Android TV box). Omv does does not have a desktop GUI like Windows Server... It is all command line and the only omv GUI is the webui.

• Thanks for the reply!

Good tip on the SSD, I'll go for the smallest one I can find. The current Plex database is not that big; a little under 10 GB

I wasn't sure about the RAM. Initially I was planning on 16GB, but I can get a good deal on 32. I'll stick with 16, still better for my budget.

I think I goofed up on those integrated graphics. I thought I had read somewhere that integrated graphics were needed for hardware transcoding. I've now read that it's not the integrated graphics, but that the CPU needs to have QuickSync enabled. Which also means that I need a Intel CPU. So I'm now thinking of these

- an MSI Z390-A PRO, socket 1151
    - with a Intel Core i5-9400F

as a replacement

• No, I was really just looking for a board with 6 SATA connectors. I spoke to a friend of mine who can sell me this board for 55 euro's (about 62 USD), which is cheap for this board. I hadn't looked the chipset at all, tbh, just at the socket and the SATA connectors. I'm open to suggestions though.

• Just out of curiosity: how much is your yearly electricity bill (more or less) ?

I haven't got a clue. Although with the big TV, the multiple PC's, the numerous gadgets and the waterbed it's probably substantial.
    But hey, I don't smoke ;)

• I've recently upgraded my old system which was a HPZ400 workstation to something more purpose built due to the slowness of remote access PLEX i have nearly 3TB of media for PLEX. I decided to keep to the Xeon route (Intel® Xeon® E3-1245 v3 1245V3 - 3.4GHz Quad-Core CPU Socket 1150 Processor) and kept on through eBay and got a chip for £70 and made sure it could do visualisations and quick sync. I managed to build the whole system including a second hand rack mount case for less than £200. I did purchase a new Bronze PSU and CPU cooler but the WD Black Drives and Firecuda were taken from my old system as they were still fully serviceable.

I would personally recommend though the Xeon as ive run them for the past 5 years on a workstation thats on 24/7 and never had an issue.

OMV - 4.1.22-1 (Arrakis)
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    ASRock B85M Pro4 Motherboard
    8GB Crucial Ballistix PC3-10600 DDR3
    6TB Western Digital Black in Raid 5 PLEX Media Drives
    2TB Firecuda File Server Drive
    ======================================
    Used as PLEX Media Server & Network File Server

• - MSI X470 Gaming Pro, socket AM4 motherboard -> no real point in going for x470. Just go for a b450.
    - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -> good choise
    - Noctua NH-U12S -> noctua is great, but since the ryzen is not too hot you can go for cheaper cpu cooler like be quiet or schyte, or even a chepear noctua.
    - Corsair 32 GB DDR4-2666 -> go for a 3200mhz ram, not 2666. Ryzen benefits a lot from ram frequency. Also 8gb of ram are enough normally. 16 is already overkill for me. Really depends on how many transcoding will you have at the same time
    - Sharkoon WPM Gold ZERO 550W -> go for the be quiet pure power 11 400W.
    - WD Blue SN500 NVMe, 250 GB SSD (for OMV) -> 120Gb should be enough. no point on going for a 60gb since the price is nearly the same.
    - 6 x Seagate IronWolf ST12000VN0007 12TB
    - an older but quiet miditower I have lying around with enough place for the HDD's

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Ram frequency is only important for inter core communication or of course general memory dependent tasks, so I dont see high gains through faster ram.
    In case of NAS or generally high uptime systems I highly recommand staying within the jedec norm! Dont use these overclocking modes (i. e. 3200MHz DDR4) !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!