Hardware advice for a build<£200/$260

• I'm looking to build an OMV machine for under £200. I currently have a Ras Pi 3b+ setup but I'm looking to upgrade.
    I'd like to be able to

• Host SMB and Plex servers
    • Transcode media on handbrake
    • Torrent on Trnasmission
    • Host a Nextcloud server

I was thinking of building or buying a cheap PC, preferably with Micro-ATX or Mini_ATX dimensions and a x64 architecture.
    I don't need any drives.

Does anybody have a build in a similar price range and form factor, or any suggestions for the build ?
    Would be very much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

All that stuff is pretty easy on OMV (actually really easy). I don't use Plex, so have no need to Transcode, but my understanding it is fairly CPU hungry.

Find a motherboard/CPU that meets your needs... I would get the fastest processor you can afford. Only thing I can suggest regarding the motherboard... if you intend to use an Onboard NIC, look for Intel NIC's (or be prepared to buy an Intel NIC card). Atheros as a general rule, is also pretty good. Real one to look out for is Realtek's... I've had nothing but headaches with them on Linux (YMMV).

Hop around on a computer or parts site and post some links to stuff that would meet your budget, and go from there.

• Find a motherboard/CPU that meets your needs... I would get the fastest processor you can afford. Only thing I can suggest regarding the motherboard... if you intend to use an Onboard NIC, look for Intel NIC's (or be prepared to buy an Intel NIC card). Atheros as a general rule, is also pretty good. Real one to look out for is Realtek's... I've had nothing but headaches with them on Linux (YMMV).

Hop around on a computer or parts site and post some links to stuff that would meet your budget, and go from there.

Right well I was looking at various motherboards that meet the criteria. It seems all the Motherboards in the budget range just come with a Realtek NIC. What are the issues you found with them ? Is it more of a machine specific problem or is it just bad compatibility all round ?

• It seems all the Motherboards in the budget range just come with a Realtek NIC

And if it's 8111G or 8111H or newer there's not much to worry about ('RealTek sucks' appears to me as a historical problem in the meantime. I avoided those NICs as well in the last 2 decades after some horrible experiences just to learn that things change over time here and there).

As for your requirements. An ODROID HC2 will easily do if you opt for transcoding on the fly and get Emby running: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…u4hc1hc2-armbian-stretch/

With Handbrake on x86 it's the same 'work smarter not harder' challenge. You can waste an insane amount of energy to let stuff run where it doesn't belong to (on beefy CPU cores) or research whether smarter approaches exist.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And if it's 8111G or 8111H or newer there's not much to worry about ('RealTek sucks' appears to me as a historical problem in the meantime. I avoided those NICs as well in the last 2 decades after some horrible experiences just to learn that things change over time here and there).
    As for your requirements. An ODROID HC2 will easily do if you opt for transcoding on the fly and get Emby running: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…u4hc1hc2-armbian-stretch/

With Handbrake on x86 it's the same 'work smarter not harder' challenge. You can waste an insane amount of energy to let stuff run where it doesn't belong to (on beefy CPU cores) or research whether smarter approaches exist.

The 8111G is the one I have in my current box... I've not used it in a while as I bought an Intel card, but among the problems...

1. The machine would not shut down (it would only reboot) unless the command was ran locally. From the webUI or from SSH... it always rebooted rather than shutdown. Sometimes if I shut down twice in a row, it would actually shutdown.
    2. Random disconnects.
    3. Random speed... Sometimes it was great, often it was terrible. Couldn't really see any rhyme or reason as to why.

There were other issues, but I dealt w/ those 3 primary ones for about 8mo before getting so frustrated I bought the Intel card.. and it's been more or less flawless. I'll take your word for it that the issues w/ the Realtek's are taken care of... I just always caution people on using them.

• As for your requirements. An ODROID HC2 will easily do if you opt for transcoding on the fly and get Emby running: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…u4hc1hc2-armbian-stretch/

I've had a look over the HC2 in the past. My concern comes with the processor, from what I understand it's an ARM board, which could cut power costs but isn't ideal for compatibility with e.g new add-ons that work through Docker but on x86/x64 architecture.
    Also how do the stacking work ? Given I could roughly get 4 HC2's and stay within my budget, do they operate as a singular device with shared processing power and RAM or is it like 4 different devices working in tandem with one another ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really like my HC2 for what I use it for (remote backup).. but as I said in another thread recently... I'm just not sold on it (or frankly any SBC platform) being my main NAS for streaming, etc. for the exact reason you stated. A lot of dockers, etc.. have x64 versions, but don't have an ARM version.

You don't really say your location, but there's a lot of options discussed in this thread on buying some older stuff that is easily found on Amazon, ebay, etc.. that would hit your budget...

https://forum.openmediavault.o…h-4-SATA-ports-Recommend/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unless you install some extra clustering software stacked HC2s are independent units. You could for instance use them as a docker swarm or for glusterfs for distributed storage.

I simply use most of mine in pairs. One for data storage and one for backup storage. And manually distribute tasks and data between them. So far.

You can also have an app server, perhaps a HC2 with a SSD or a NUC and use the other HC2s for data/backup storage. GbE is not too bad for that. The HC2s are pretty nimble with NFS. Depends on your demands. For media streaming it works fine.

Unfortunately I never got NFS caching, using FS-cache, to work on a HC2. That would have been nice.

On a x86/x86-64 that would have been easy.

• from what I understand it's an ARM board

It is. But it's pointless to discuss any further with people who already suffered from having been in contact with this insane crap show called Raspberry Pi. It seems these shitty RPi are the main reason why users fear relying on a great ARM device for their NAS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!