HP Microserver gen7 vs Odroid HC2?

• Currently running OMV on RPi 3B, but RPi being what it is, both processing power and network speed are lacking. I was going to get Odroid HC2, but my friend adviced me to look at used HP microserver.
    Now, extra drive bays and actual x86 arch are nice to have, but I (probably) can live without them, and even cheapest gen7 here are a bit more expensive than HC2, and they are old.

So, how is Athlon II Neo N36L compared to Exynos 5422? I know that any of them is an upgrade to RPi.

Intended use right now: torrents, Plex, some heavy enough web apps, like NewsBlur and Partkeepr. Space and power consumption are not important.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I bought a second hand Gen7 N54L this was a cheaper option for as I already had drives from an old larger server, having looked at the HC2 it would have mean't an additional investment in a larger hard drive + something to back up.

My mricroserver now has 6 drives installed after removing the DVD getting a drive bay for 1x3.5 and 2x2.5 drives along with an esata to sata cable. I don't run virtualbox on mine and most the stuff I use is run in docker.

The microservers are hard to come by and sometimes the prices asked are OTT but I finally got one for sub £100 from ebay and the guy had, mistakenly I think left a brand new 1TB drive in one of the bays, which somehow he had manged to twist and was difficult to remove. It was also spotless looked as if it had not been used and came in it's original box, but it was some months before bidding on this particular one.

• I guess the question is, what do you plan to run?

Are you just running it as a file server or do you want to run containers and VMs as well?

I got myself a secondhand i7-920 HTPC and converted that to a server - but I'm also running it as a VM lab.

------
    Crowley:
    Xeon X5670
    22GB DDR3 RAM
    1x 16TB Exos 1x 240gb Kingston A400 SSD, 1x 480gb Kingston A400 SSD
    OMV6 on top of Proxmox 7.1

Aziraphale:
    QNAP TS-431
    2x WD 3TB, 2x WD 2TB - basically a backup server for Odin

• I guess the question is, what do you plan to run?

Are you just running it as a file server or do you want to run containers and VMs as well?

I got myself a secondhand i7-920 HTPC and converted that to a server - but I'm also running it as a VM lab.

VMs not likely, but I already run several containers of RPi. Maybe I'll do some actual web dev stuff, even.

• how is Athlon II Neo N36L compared to Exynos 5422?

The 7-zip MIPS score is a rather suitable indicator of 'server workloads in general': https://s1.hoffart.de/7zip-bench/ vs. https://github.com/ThomasKaise…ch/blob/master/Results.md (the N40L listed there is slightly faster than the N36L)

TL;DR: Athlon II Neo N36L is approximately 5 times slower than an Exynos 5422. Good luck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!