Proxmox Kernel Panic

• Hi guys!
    I have two servers running OMV with ZFS the first of them I have just upgraded to the latest 0mv version and chose the Proxmox kernel without problems and installed ZFS no problems.....no problems adding pools etc...
    Server number 2 is a purpose built server with the following hardware:

Chassis: Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl

Mobo: ASUS X99-M WS/SE, Socket-2011-3

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 Processor

Samsung - DDR4 - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin 2400 MHz / PC4-19200, CL17, 1.2 V, ECC

System Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15

PSU: XFX 850W Semi Modular

I haven't researched the fact wether my hardware is supported...perhaps someone here has the info on that....
    I updated and upgraded OMV 4 to the Proxmox kernel and then rebooted to remove the other kernel installed but got kernel panic....
    I reinstalled and updated and upgraded to latest kernel Linux4.19.0.bpo.4-amd64 and rebooted but got kernel panic....tried to boot to Proxmox recovery but had a long list of what I assumed were hardware issues with a green background and nothing....
    I can boot to the latest kernel - but am wondering how to find out what is the problem for the kernel panic if I can't even get to recovery mode....
    Can someone give me some pointers as to what I can do?

bookie56 :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can someone give me some pointers as to what I can do?

You would have to boot something like systemrescuecd and mount the OS filesystem.

That board is fairly new but it is similar to my main board. The only thing I can think of that might cause a panic is having the OS on the nvme combined with something on that board. I'm curious if systemrescue will boot on it now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• HI ryecoaaron!

Sorry, sorry and sorry...forgot to say I am doing a test install without my m2 and other drives connected....
    Have a few live cd's floating about just not sure what to look for...not my strong point kernel problems...

bookie56

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have a few live cd's floating about just not sure what to look for...not my strong point kernel problems...

You don't have to look for anything. Just curious if it boots without a kernel panic.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

just not the proxmox?

The standard kernel is newer with more hardware support. So, that does make sense. It should work with zfs just fine.

• Hi again!

This proved to be a pain in the bum....

On this computer I thought I would be smart and install a test scenario on an ssd I had lying around...now as stated above I could get it to boot to the latest kernel but not proxmox....getting rid of the proxmox kernel after installation also pain in the bum.... it didn't show up as a listed boot kernel even though it was installed and showed on startup....

I thought to hell with this and reinstalled OMV 4 again so that I had a clean installation...I then updated it with all updates....I installed the openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all4 package...

I had previously tried to install the zfs plugin but that gave lots of errors files missing etc....

Instead I installed zfs from command line with all dependencies as according to zfsonlinux:

I rebooted and tested that zfs was working by just running:

Code
    # zpool status

This gave me no pools available...

I then installed the zfs plugin and imported my pools without issue...sort of....more below

I added my smb shares etc and then cloned the drive with clonezilla.

Now one thing I hadn't thought of when I was going to import my pools is the fact that the ssd drive was taking up a sata connection and I didn't have others available when all drives containing my pools were connected.

I got over this little hiccup by connecting the ssd drive to an adapter ssd to usb and connected and booted from that so that I could connect all my drives for my pools...

In principle my work was done and it was working normally.....but....

I thought I would try and upgrade the existing installation on my m.2 from omv3 to omv4.....but this went pearshape in a big way....so having my clone as back up I tried to do a new installation on the m.2 and that proved to be a pain in the bum in a big way....despite having done the same procedure ass the standard ssd I got errors when trying to install the zfs plugin.....it had dependency problems but all dependencies were installed....?! I gave up on that and added my image I had cloned from the ssd and everything is hunky dorry...?

Two exactly the same installations but one caused problems and the other didn't?!

I will point out that I tried and failed after several attempts to install to a usb flash drive ...the same one I had used for the other server running zfs.....it would not install kept failing around 36%....?!

This little exercise has cost a bit of time and well forget the hair pulling don't have much to pull these days....lol

This is the thing I love and hate about linux....sometimes things go so easily you wonder what you did wrong.....and other times it gives you a challenge....

All well and ends well until the next time....;)

bookie56

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!