Openmediavault 5.0-1 and OMV-Extras

• Hello,

Is OMV 5.0-1 compatible with OMV-Extras ?

OMV-Extras is installed by command line and when i update by "apt-get update", here is the error log :

Can anyone help me with this error ?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV 5.0-1 compatible with OMV-Extras ?

I haven't done much testing because nothing OMV 5.x is ready.

Can anyone help me with this error ?

Don't use OMV 5.x is the best suggestion. If you insist on using omv 5.x, then don't use omv-extras. I haven't touched it months and there have been lots of updates.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for opening this discussion!

Due to an incompatible RAID controller with OMV4 (Stretch), I had to install OMV5 (Buster) on my new server, to use a hardware RAID1 for the system.

I tricked the link on http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/guides to add a 5 instead of the 4.
    To my joy, the link works!
    Explectedly, I had this error:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:186
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Plugin', 'upload', Array, Array, 3)
    #1 /var/www/openmediavault/upload.php(44): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #2 {main}

I guess it is a little too early to use this repo...
    Well be limited to built-in plugins and services, until they can pull out a fresher version.

Would that pre-release option a good idea to use?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Due to an incompatible RAID controller with OMV4 (Stretch), I had to install OMV5 (Buster) on my new server, to use a hardware RAID1 for the system.

OMV 5.x uses the same kernel (4.19 buster kernel) that OMV 4.x uses (4.19 stretch-backports kernel). So, OMV 5.x won't help.

I tricked the link on omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/guides to add a 5 instead of the 4.
    To my joy, the link works!

I guess saying don't use omv-extras on 5.x didn't matter?

Well be limited to built-in plugins and services, until they can pull out a fresher version.

I am the one who wrote the omv-extras plugin.

Would that pre-release option a good idea to use?

Not sure what you mean but no.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OMV 5.x uses the same kernel (4.19 buster kernel) that OMV 4.x uses (4.19 stretch-backports kernel). So, OMV 5.x won't help.

OK, thanks for the answer.
    Let's get back to problem 1 then: understand why OMV4 install does not see my RAID1 whereas OMV5 does.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let's get back to problem 1 then: understand why OMV4 install does not see my RAID1 whereas OMV5 does.

The only thing I have seen where OMV 4.x doesn't see an array and OMV 3.x does is when the drives have many zfs signatures on them (even if you aren't using zfs but were are one point). All I can think is the stretch mdadm package combined with the 4.19 kernel has a problem. stretch mdadm with proxmox 4.15 kernel doesn't have this problem (that I have seen). The output of wipefs -n /dev/sdX on your drives would be interesting to see.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the proxmox 4.15 kernel have any significant disadvantage compared to 4.19 kernel?

To add to donh's comments, the kernel is older and won't have all hardware support backported to it. This only really affects people running OMV on desktop grade bleeding edge hardware though.

• Hi,

I finally found the time to check the disk detection with a vanilla debian 9.99 iso installer.
    Same thing, it does not show the RAID drive as a target to install on.
    That remains a mystery.

Any suggestion?

• Thanks for your answer, yes it would demand me some time/skills that I don't have at the moment.

How far are we from 5.x release? days, months?
    Buster reached the RC1 state, would you advise me to wait a little?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for your answer, yes it would demand me some time/skills that I don't have at the moment.

How far are we from 5.x release? days, months?
    Buster reached the RC1 state, would you advise me to wait a little?

I'm assuming you're using some sort of home setup and there's no real reason to have your OS drive running on a RAID. Have you tried plugging your OS drive into one of the onboard SATA ports, instead of using the controller? If for some reason you can't do that... do you have a spare flash drive laying around (8-16gigs should be plenty) Is the machine you're installing on capable of booting a flash drive? (I'm assuming so).

Assuming you would go the flash drive route, here's my thinking. You'll need 2 flash drives to try this. I'm assuming you're able to boot a USB with Stretch/OMV 4, and the system is just not seeing your RAID controller for you to install the OS.

Put the OMV 4 ISO on a flash drive.
    Install OMV 4 to the 2nd flash drive.
    Once installed, make sure system is completely updated.
    Install OMV-Extras
    Install flash-memory plugin (this is important or you'll nuke that flash drive in a matter of weeks)
    Use OMV-extras to install the current backport kernel (this is as simple as a couple of clicks).

Right now, I'm using the backport kernel on a fully updated system and it's showing me on 4.1.22-1. Most of what I've found by Googling... Buster's initial release kernel will be 4.1.19. I've not tried Buster yet, so I can't verify this. Assuming this is accurate, your RAID controller should work w/ the backport kernel. Connect your data drives to the RAID controller, and they should be detected and you can set up your shares, etc.

This would allow you to use your RAID controller with OMV 4. Yeah, your OS will be on a flash drive.. but it should get you up and running. Once Buster releases, you can decide if you want to install to a drive on the RAID controller, or leave the system as is and just follow the normal upgrade path to Buster.

• Thank you for this extended answer.
    Most of what you assume is right.

I switched to a single drive install scheme rather and I'll try later.

My intend was to evaluate the stability benefits for a soft btrfs RAID array, by moving its caching to a hardware RAID1. Just pushing the lily of test benching here.

You can catch-up with the discussion here.
    Again, thank you for these details.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!