Cannot mount old BTRFS in new OMV installation.

    • OMV 4.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Cannot mount old BTRFS in new OMV installation.

      Hello everyone.

      I started using BTRFS recently, and everything was fine until tonight when I reinstalled OMV. After that, I can still see my old BTRFS array, but I cannot mount it through the control panel. It does nothing at first, and subsequent attempts result in the following error messagea:

      Source Code

      1. Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; mount -v --source '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WMC1T2004463' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so.
      I feel like I used to be smarter and could have figured this out on my own a few months ago, but the crazy 60+ hour work weeks I've endured lately have fried my brain. What simple thing am I overlooking here?
    • henfri wrote:

      try dmesg | tail or so
      Interesting.

      For some reason, the error I copied and pasted here was different from the one I was getting earlier. I didn't even see that part. Regardless, dmesg |tail wasn't very forthcoming with any information. After a reboot, the error returned to the original one I was getting:

      Source Code

      1. Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; mount -v --source '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WMC1T2004463' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: /dev/sda is already mounted or /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WMC1T2004463 busy

      This error would make sense if the disk was already mounted, however it was not. Even from the first boot of a fresh OMV install, I was getting this error. Not sure what the cause is, but I did stumble upon a workaround. After repeated attempts to mount the array, it randomly began showing up as a device that I could add as a share, and everything works as it should, with one exception. The filesystems tab still states that it is not mounted, but referenced. It sucks that I can't see the used and available space on the filesystems tab, but I know BTRFS isn't always accurate with those numbers anyway, so it's of limited use.