Plex Media Server in Docker Issues

• Hello all!

I have installed PMS using Docker based on the video by Techno Life Dad. I followed everything as he set it up and fixed the "noexec" problem as mentioned is a different video. The issue I have is that PMS loads but I cannot find my media folders when adding the libraries. PUID and PGID are correct and I have had access to these folders in SMB for months now. I was able to access them previously from another PMS installation on the network. I have a folder named "Media" under "Shared Folders". This folder contains a subfolder called "Movies" and another for "TV Shows". The shared folder "Media" is shared on SMB and can be access without issues from Windows, along with the subfolder. I have read and write privileges to these folders for this user, which is the same one used for PMS. I am have been trying to figure out why I cannot see my folders when I go to add a library in Plex. I am able to browse in Windows to the shared folder named "config/plex" created during the setup. This folder also contains a subfolder named "Library". When trying to add a library in PMS, I am able to see the "config" folder, but when I click on it I do not see the "plex" subfolder, it jumps straight to the "Library" subfolder for some weird reason that I do not understand.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

• Yes. However that is not the same "media" folder. There is nothing in there. That "media" folder is there by default in OMV installation. I believe it is the one that can be seen in WinSCP in the root directory and it contains the "cdrom" folder. I also tried creating a different folder and it also did not show up.
    Edit: This other folder that I created was named Plex and it was under "shared folders" and also in SMB. When I tested that, I pointed the "Volumes and Bind mounts" to it for the /media container and it was not there when trying to add libraries either.

• In the volumes and bind mounts use /srv/<fuse mount> and not /sharedfolders

Thank you @geaves, that proved to be the solution. I set the path to the /media container to /srv/<fuse mount> and when searching in Plex for a new library folder, I found all my media folders under the "media" directory on the left of the popup window.

I would like to know why, in this case, you would need to go to /srv/<fuse mount> instead of /sharedfolders. Is it because of the use of mergerfs? It would be nice to know the reason so I can learn more about the system.

On a side note, I am thinking of using an SSD to help with transcodes. Is it possible to migrate my OMV installation from the current 32gb USB drive to a 500gb SSD? My goal is to migrate it there without issues and install the Plex server in Docker, but with the /config and /transcode container paths in the SSD. I would keep bind the /media container path as suggested. If anyone knows of a guide to do this (if it is possible at all), I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would like to know why, in this case, you would need to go to /srv/<fuse mount> instead of /sharedfolders. Is it because of the use of mergerfs? It would be nice to know the reason so I can learn more about the system.

Whilst this thread is quite long it does explain the issue, whilst there are some workarounds the simplest option is to avoid using /sharefolders, especially when using mergerfs.

On a side note, I am thinking of using an SSD to help with transcodes. Is it possible to migrate my OMV installation from the current 32gb USB drive to a 500gb SSD?

It is possible, but you would need to use gparted to extend the partition after using clonezilla to image the usb to the ssd. A better option if it's possible is to add the ssd as a standalone drive and use that for the docker config and transcode.
    I don't use Plex I use Emby and point Emby's config to a share on a single drive, but I scrape my movies using MCM therefore the metadata is stored/located in each movies folder.
    My set up has never needed to transcode, whilst they are all .mkv's the audio tracks are 5.1 and aac this allows kodi to use surround sound and ipads etc to use aac stereo using vlc.

• Thank On a side note, I am thinking of using an SSD to help with transcodes. Is it possible to migrate my OMV installation from the current 32gb USB drive to a 500gb SSD? My goal is to migrate it there without issues and install the Plex server in Docker, but with the /config and /transcode container paths in the SSD. I would keep bind the /media container path as suggested. If anyone knows of a guide to do this (if it is possible at all), I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!

try this thread: https://forum.openmediavault.o…-From-Flash-Drive-to-SSD/

• Geaves. great advice. Thanks. I got Plex working after pointing to srv also. Still having some issues with Handbrake..

Question. Do you point everything to srv instead of sharedfolders when setting up your other dockers volumes and binds?

Thanks again ml

• Question. Do you point everything to srv instead of sharedfolders when setting up your other dockers volumes and binds?

Always use srv when dealing with dockers.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Probably a permissions problem. The directory you point /config to must be readable, writable, and executable by the user that the container is running as.

What does it say in the container log?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
    [s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
    [fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
    [fix-attrs.d] done.
    [cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
    [cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
    _ ()
    | | ___ _ __
    | | / __| | | / \
    | | \__ \ | | | () |
    |_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
    We gratefully accept donations at:
    https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
    GID/UID

User uid: 1000
    User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...

#######################################################
    # Update routine will not run because you havent set #
    # the VERSION variable or you opted out of updates. #
    # For more information checkout :- #
    # https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex #
    #######################################################

[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
    [custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
    [cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] done.
    [services.d] starting services
    Starting Plex Media Server.
    [services.d] done.

• tarting Plex Media Server.
    [cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
    [cont-finish.d] done.
    [s6-finish] waiting for services.
    [s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
    [s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.
    [s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
    [s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
    [fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
    [fix-attrs.d] done.
    [cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
    [cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

usermod: no changes

• I am still not convinced that the ownership and permissions of the Host path are correct. You haven't said anything about those yet.

Start by posting the actual Host path - Container path statements.

The determine the ownership and permissions of the Host paths.

--

• I’ll try to post that but I’m starting to thinking Unionfs might be corrupted. I installed radar docker and even though I mapped the folders to the srv or shareholders when I start radar it showing the capacity’s of my boot ssd that seems to be filling up not the data array. Very strange.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!