Docker Transmission OpenVPN setup // AirVPN

• Dear all,

I would like to setup "Transmission OpenVPN" with my VPN provider "AirVPN", but after searching on the forum and spending many hours browsing on the web i'm still not sure how to do it. I'm not knowledgeable using Linux and this is definitely not helping.

Currently I have my OMV system running fine, but I would like to be able to download torrents using a VPN.

The instructions on Haugene's GitHub site are quite confusing for me, as AirVPN requires a special setup as the credentials are included in the ovpn file.

Anyone here using AirVPN in combination with Transmission-OpenVPN?

On top of that do I need to unistall my current Transmission installation before installing Transmission-OpenVPN?

Thanks!

• Hi Geaves,

Thanks!

I watched the video, but it's not explaining how to setup a "Custom VPN". You cannot select AirVPN from the list included in docker, furthermore I also need to upload the ovpn file in order to be able to connect. This is why I'm asking for help.

Best regards

• Hi Geaves and Techno Dad,

@TechnoDadLife congratulations for your awesome youtube videos, I'm a big fan. :)

I read the README file, but I'm having troubles to proceed with the setup as i'm still a newbie with Docker.

Add a new volume mount to your docker run command that mounts your config file: -v /path/to/your/config.ovpn:/etc/openvpn/custom/default.ovpn

Should I add this command to the same window were I add the PUID and the PGID?

Then you can set OPENVPN_PROVIDER=CUSTOM and the container will use the config you provided. If you are using AirVPN or other provider with credentials in the config file, you still need to set OPENVPN_USERNAME and OPENVPN_PASSWORD as this is required by the startup script. They will not be read by the .ovpn file, so you can set them to whatever.

This is clear

Note that you still need to modify your .ovpn file as described in the previous section. If you have an separate ca.crt, client.key or client.crt file in your volume mount should be a folder containing both the ca.crt and the .ovpn config.

This part is not clear to me, in the previous part it's not described how to modify the .ovpn file. Which one would be my volume mount folder?

Mount the folder contianing all the required files instead of the openvpn.ovpn file. -v /path/to/your/config/:/etc/openvpn/custom/

Should I add this command to the same window were I add the PUID and the PGID, like before?

Additionally the .ovpn config should include the full path on the docker container to the ca.crt and additional files. ca /etc/openvpn/custom/ca.crt

How do I add this information in the .ovpn file?

If -e OPENVPN_CONFIG= variable has been omitted from the docker run command the .ovpn config file must be named default.ovpn. IF -e OPENVPN_CONFIG= is used with the custom provider the .ovpn config and variable must match as described above.

This last part is also not clear to me.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not able to do it by myself.

Thanks again

Best regards

• It should be added like this, I think.

I don't have any experience doing this. But it turns a simple container into a complex container. Have you thought about just switching to a more popular vpn where everything is already set up for you?

• Hello,

I finally managed to run openvpn docker transmission with a "custom provider"
    I will try to explain what I did but I have bad English.

First
    We will take the example that I have my 4 files
    test.ovpn
    testca.crt
    test.crt
    test.key

I just edit in the test.ovpn file (with notepad ++)
    ca testca.crt <=> ca /etc/openvpn/custom/test.crt
    key test.key <=> key /etc/openvpn/custom/test.key
    cert test.crt <=> cert /etc/openvpn/custom/test.crt

After in the AppData shared folder I created an OpenVPN/test/ folder

In OpenVPN/test/ I put my 4 files
    test.ovpn
    testca.crt
    test.crt
    test.key

I created to another folder in AppData/OpenVPN/test/default.ovpn/
    In this folder I created a file named default.ovpn
    With notepad ++ I edit it and I just write test.ovpn at the first line
    So I have AppData/OpenVPN/test/default.ovpn/default.ovpn

The configuration of the docker is exactly the same as in the video, I just added
    OPENVPN_CONFIG = test

I do not have user or password set to "dummy"

In Hostpath Container Path
    /sharedfoldersAppData/OpenVPN/test/default.ovpn <=> /etc/openvpn/custom/default.ovpn
    /sharedfolders/AppData/OpenVPN/test <=> /etc/openvpn/custom

For me it works

• Hello everyone,

Did someomne finally manage to make it work with AirVPN ?

I am struggling and I am totally novice in OMV and Linux system. After hours tyring to understand the explanation given here, I am still nowhere to find the solution.

The code inside the .ovpn provided by AirVPN looks like this (only lines modifed are the ones in bold) :

Thank you for your help !

• You need to use "Advanced mode" in AirVPN's config generator, and select "IPv4 only" IP layer exit,.

Alternatively, delete these 2 lines from your ovpn config:

Zitat

push-peer-info

setenv UV_IPV6 yes

• Thanks for the help !

I found a solution last week, I totally forgot about this post.

I ended up using a qBitorrent image : https://hub.docker.com/r/chrisjohnson00/qbittorrent-openvpn

Which is a fork from this image https://github.com/MarkusMcNugen/docker-qBittorrentvpn

I just followed the instruction from the first link above + the following options for the ovpn config (from the AirVPN config generator) :

Advanced Mode: Checked
    API Reference: Unchecked
    Select "Linux"
    IP Layer: IPv4 only
    Connect with IP layer: IPv4
    Protocols: UDP/443
    Bundle executables: No
    OpenVPN version: >=2.4
    Separatekeys/certs from .ovpn file: Checked
    Proxy: None

And it is working just fine :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!