OpenVPN Permission Issues

• I'm following Techno Dad's Transmission/OpenVPN guide and am hitting a few snags:

I tried setting TRANSMISSION_WEB_UI to combustion and transmission-web-control however the interface doesn't change for Transmission.

When I check the logs I see this block of permission related issues:

mkdir: cannot create directory '/data/transmission-home': Read-only file system
    2019/04/14 13:25:46 unable to create open /data/transmission-home/settings.json: no such file or directory
    sed'ing True to true
    sed: can't read /data/transmission-home/settings.json: No such file or directory
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/data/transmission-home': Read-only file system
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/data/completed': Read-only file system
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/data/watch': Read-only file system
    Enforcing ownership on transmission config directories
    chown: cannot access '/data/transmission-home': No such file or directory
    Applying permissions to transmission config directories
    chmod: cannot access '/data/transmission-home': No such file or directory
    Setting owner for transmission paths to 1000:100
    chown: cannot access '/data/completed': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of '/data/incomplete': Read-only file system
    chown: cannot access '/data/watch': No such file or directory
    Setting permission for files (644) and directories (755)
    chmod: cannot access '/data/completed': No such file or directory
    chmod: changing permissions of '/data/incomplete': Read-only file system
    chmod: cannot access '/data/watch': No such file or directory

Shared Folders and Samba look setup properly, but between the above errors and the fact that the web interface isn't changing concerns me. Any thoughts on what I might be overlooking?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Considering it's the configuration changes you're getting the permissions error on... I think that is gonna be an issue w/ the configuration folder you made (whatever you assigned to .config in the container setup).

Did you create the folder w/ root, or as a user? This is 1 reason why config folders and files, I never create or edit them over SMB (or NFS for that matter, but it's not as big an issue w/ NFS). SMB can get kinda nutty with permissions sometimes when creating folders under Windows, and trying to use them with Linux. I know Technodad usually does this in his videos and I'm assuming he's not had a problem with it to this point, but I don't agree w/ it. I always just ssh my server as a user and make the directory (mkdir folder_name) or use nano to edit the file in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are/Is the folder you are creating for the config on mergerfs?
    Are you using the path /sharedfolder or /srv?
    The user which is in your output is 1000 have you checked that before creating the container?

That's another possibility. The person I was helping who had that issue on a mergerfs, I don't recall a permission issue, but everything would be fine after he set it up, then if he reboot, powered down, etc.. then basically all settings were lost (in reality they weren't lost, they just weren't getting loaded properly for it to be seen)

It sounds like he's not even getting beyond the initial setup.

• Are/Is the folder you are creating for the config on mergerfs?
    Are you using the path /sharedfolder or /srv?
    The user which is in your output is 1000 have you checked that before creating the container?

The folders are not on mergerfs.
    I used /sharedfolder
    I've confirmed the PGID and PUID are correct.

Also, owner of data/ is user1.

If it's not evident, I'm pretty new to all of this :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!