My OMV box seems to bring down my entire LAN after completing a cron job

• So, almost weekly, my entire network behind my router would go down. Since I didn't know the exact problem, I'd go through rebooting EVERYTHING on the network, including the router and a switch I have in the LAN. I only recently learned it has something to do with the machine running OMV. When I network has gone down the last two times, as soon as I powered off the OMV box, the network came back online for everything.

The OMV box is wired directly to my router. The last time it went down, it seemed to happen either at the start, during, or at the end of a weekly cron job I have running, which is a weekly rsync from one drive to another. The log entry didn't really provide any other detail other than the job was started.

So, to start troubleshooting this further, are there other logs, or log detail levels, I need to enable or should be looking through to find out why this is happening? I cannot even access the web panel when the network goes down, so I've been hard-stopping the box (holding the power button down for 5 seconds). The box is an old Gateway PC I've repurposed for OMV.

• The whole lan is dying? Even the router / switch? Is it just an omv?
    If the problem occurs when you do rsync then you have a preliminary direction where there may be a problem.
    If one machine kills all communications for other devices in the lan, then separate the omv to another physical network or create a separate vlan. And analyze what traffic generates.

The first thought is that rsync is doing dos and the switch / router simply chokes.

• Since I have never heard of a problem like this before, can you tell us more about your network hardware and speeds. Is the drive on the same server or a different server?

Sure. I of course have my ISP modem, in bridge mode connected to my ASUS RT-N56u running Padavan firmware. 3 of the LAN ports connect directly to a Windows PC, the box running OMV, and my smart TV. 4th LAN port connects to a switch which connects to two raspeberry pi's (one for OctoPrint 3d print server and one running RetroPi), another Synology NAS box, and my cable box.

The OMV box and the associated HDDs mentioned in the RSYNC process are all in the same machine.

The whole lan is dying? Even the router / switch? Is it just an omv?
    If the problem occurs when you do rsync then you have a preliminary direction where there may be a problem.
    If one machine kills all communications for other devices in the lan, then separate the omv to another physical network or create a separate vlan. And analyze what traffic generates.

The first thought is that rsync is doing dos and the switch / router simply chokes.

Yes, the entire LAN. When the error exists, I can, for example, connect my Chromebook to the Wifi, but there is no traffic, and I cannot even bring up the router's admin panel. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to configure a vlan with my router's firmware, I'd likely need to dive deep into console commands to do so.

• Yes, the entire LAN. When the error exists, I can, for example, connect my Chromebook to the Wifi, but there is no traffic, and I cannot even bring up the router's admin panel. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to configure a vlan with my router's firmware, I'd likely need to dive deep into console commands to do so.

I am tired so I probably do not see the full picture.
    But simple thought processes suggest that something is blocking your LAN or causing some conflicts.

Since wifi works, it's probably something around the switch or routing table. Since omv box kills the network when you run rsync. Generally weird but ...

Run some sniffer and see what happens in LAN. Start analyzing the traffic that generates the omv box on eth. It would be best to physically separate the omv box from your router and insert some packet analyzer. Even pfsense, opnsense, ipfire with the right module and look at what's happening on the interface.

Are you sure you do not have any strange configuration in omv? Or a technical problem with the interface itself.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!