Raspberry how to transfer omv root from SD to SSD

• I am trying to work on a prototype based on Raspberry 3 with SSD, the target platform will be an Odroid HC2 with HD for both omv and nextcloud.
    After downloading the image and transferring it to SD, the first problem is to transfer the system on SSD.
    I mounted the /dev/sda1 as /mnt and I copied the system folders with the command rsync -axv / /mnt.
    I changed the root path on cmdline.txt to point to /dev/sda1, then I appropriately modified fstab on copied system and reboot it, as I did several times on Raspberry.

It seems to be fine, at the reboot the system boot from SSD and I can logging in by ssh.
    However the graphical interface doesn't work, because nginx has failed.
    It has failed because doesn't exist the file /var/log/nginx/error.log, so says the system journal.
    But I have checked that the folder and file there were on SDD before the reboot... Now are missing, did the reboot cancel them ?
    I tried to define the missing folders and files by mkdir and touch while the system was running.
    At the reboot the interface starts, but I can't logging in as admin. It waits for a moment, checks the password, and after it asks again for the credentials to login.

There is a way to bypass those problems ?
    Or there is another simple way to transfer omv system from SD to SSD/HD on Raspberry and Odroid ?
    Thanks.

OMV 6.x - Odroid HC2

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ginsa ()

• Or there is another simple way to transfer omv system from SD to SSD/HD on Raspberry and Odroid ?

What do you want with a RPi? Horrible choice for a NAS or anything related to network and/or storage. On the ODROID HC2 you partition the SSD and then use nand-sata-install to move the rootfs from SD card to the SSD (the SD card needs to remain in the slot since the 1st stage bootloader can only live there).

• What do you want with a RPi? Horrible choice for a NAS or anything related to network and/or storage. On the ODROID HC2 you partition the SSD and then use nand-sata-install to move the rootfs from SD card to the SSD (the SD card needs to remain in the slot since the 1st stage bootloader can only live there).

I know the hardware restrictions of Raspberry... indeed, as i wrote, I choose to use an Odroid for the target NAS.
    I'd like to understand why such issues come out.
    Because using nand-sata-install my doubt is if the moved system to SSD of Odroid has the same behavior then of the Raspberr, i.e. nginx will not work at all.
    Can anyone explain me? Thx.

• my doubt is if the moved system to SSD of Odroid has the same behavior then of the Raspberry

Raspberries are no ARM SBC but VideoCore thingies and something entirely different than ARM boards. They run a primary OS called ThreadX (use the forum search or a web search) and as such stuff that happens on the RPi is irrelevant for real ARM devices.

Simply forget about those lousy Raspberries and use nand-sata-install on your ODROID HC2 and enjoy OMV running flawlessly.

• This might be a reason. But I guess Armbian running on the Raspberry would have to be in charge of managing web components, folders and files, not directly ThreadX that is a inner layer...
    Anyway I'll try to follow your advice in next days, when the new HC2 will arrive.
    Thank you.

• But I guess Armbian running on the Raspberry would have to be in charge of managing web components, folders and files, not directly ThreadX that is a inner layer...

It's different. ThreadX is the primary operating system that boots first and then subsequently starts the Linux kernel or other bootloaders. Armbian's nand-sata-install has been designed only with real ARM devices in mind that rely on u-boot as 'real' bootloader. As such nand-sata-install doesn't work on the RPi but all of this doesn't matter that much since on real ARM devices it does what it has been designed to. Just give it a try on ODROID HC2 and forget about the RPi for anything NAS :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!