Windows cannot Access after Docker - Plex install

• I decided to finally get Plex set to run under Docker and used the TechnoDadLife guide to get it going. Was having a few issues where Plex was running, but couldn't see any of my media files at all so I went the sledge hammer approach and put the PUID and PGID both as 0 (for root). This worked fantasticly, with me able to find all my media files, and I left it go.

When I went to open the shared location up from windows explorer however I got the "Windows cannot access <IP ADDRESS>" message and was no longer able to access any of my files. I am suspecting that giving plex root privileges to my media folder caused it to change the owner or privileges of those locations. I followed the guide more closely and set it up with User1 which has the same PUID and PGID as in the video. Unfortunately despite Docker reporting the state as running, the docker log reporting that it detected a change of owernership etc. I had hoped this would fix my issues..

Plex server no longer runs and I still can't access my shared drive. For reference I am simply using guest access and full privileges to my share location to simplify the whole thing.

I have done the following to try and fix it
    1 - Went into SMB/CIFS and ensured that Public - Guest Allowed was still set, checked that it was marked as Browseable. Inherit ACLS and Inherit permissions are both on, not sure if I changed that or not as I have done a few things in an attempt to fix this
    2 - Went into Access Rights Management and my storage location has Read/Write for User1 and then went into ACL and have the following set as per Photo 1
    - Owner - Root - Read/Write/Execute
    - Group - Users - Read/Write/Execute
    - Others - Read/Write/Execute
    - Recursive - On
    3 - Went into the Reset Permissions, selected both the Plex Config folder and the Storage folder and set them both to everyone:read/write and told it to clear ACLs
    4 - Signed in with PuTTY and this is what I got from ls-al on my pool drive

Basically run out of ideas at this point. I've done the above a few times, disabling Docker to do it as well in case having Plex running is causing issues and obviously tried turning everything off and on again. Unfortunately Plex and my Shares are still down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I went to open the shared location up from windows explorer however I got the "Windows cannot access <IP ADDRESS>"

That would imply a network issue of some sort but you have said you can use Putty and ssh to omv. If you can use Putty to ssh run this from the cli systemctl status wsdd if this returns active (running) then the issue is the Windows machine.
    For whatever reason Network Discovery was turned off after an update (it did on all my machines), to test this open File Explorer and select Network in the left hand pane, you may see a warning just below the address bar that Network Discovery is turned off, you cab turn it on from there. Failing that check in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Change advanced sharing settings -> Private ensure that Turn on network discovery is checked and Turn on automatic setup of network-connected devices.

I don't use Plex I use Emby but they both have there quirks when setting them up, to start with do yourself a favour and install the resetperms plugin in omv extras and apply it to storage which appears to be your main 'root' folder.

I see you are using SnapRaid, are you using MergerFS as well?

• Hi Greaves

I wasn't so sure about being a network issue as explorer can connect to the server, just not open the folder, see photo1 attached. I had a look and yeah looks like network discovery may have been off, but

I tried running systemctl status wsdd as suggested and well the results aren't exactly positive
    root@NAS:~# systemctl status wsddUnit wsdd.service could not be found.

I already have resetperms installed, and used it a few times on my folders, to no improvement.

Yeah I've got SnapRaid, not sure I have the setup done right though. Planned to use it with Union Filesystem, but in an ongoing trend that hasn't been working fantastic either and has just been dumping all my files on one drive instead of spreading them around despite the create policy being Most free space.

Thanks for your help.

• OMV definitely wasn't up to date, I've had it run through all the updates. It reported some errors in while doing this, but they came up around the plex plugin, which I'm not using. Restarted after closing the update and nothing new is showing in Update Management so I assume I am now up to date. As for the computer, I am using an old N54L Microserver which uses an AMD processor.

After all the the update I found that wsdd had been installed, wasn't running so I started it, but that doesn't appear to have fixed anything unfortunately. System had been happily working until I attempted to setup plex though.

I tried changing the PUID and PGID settings back to 0 and Plex is still dead unfortunately. The browser reports "This site can’t be reached192.168.50.190 refused to connect.

Attempts to connect to the storage folder report that windows cannot access and that "you do not have permission to access \\IP\Storage\"

• Offizieller Beitrag

System had been happily working until I attempted to setup plex though.

Ok the easiest way to begin with this is to ignore plex at the moment.

From your windows machine; File Explorer -> Network is OMV displayed?
    From there open OMV, are the shares displayed?
    Can you open one of the shares?

• I have one large share folder called "Storage". I am able to see it, but not open it.

If I go to network I can see my NAS no problems, I can double click on that and see Storage, but attempting to open that and I get the following

Windows cannot access \\nas\Storage

You do not have permission to access \\nas\Storage. Contact your network administrator to request access.

I can get into the OMV web interface no issues, SSH via putty fine just can't access my shares anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You do not have permission to access \\nas\Storage. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Ok that's a permission issue, I would start from the beginning, so under shared folders select the reset permissions tab, select that root folder from the drop down, set permissions to Eveyone:read/write, ensure that clear acl's is enabled, save then apply.

SMB/CIFS as you said you had your shares to guest allowed, so under that folder ensure you have Public: Guests allowed and enable the browseable option, save then apply.

You should now be able to access that share from windows.

• Hi Geaves

Thanks for all your help, unfortunately that had no effect at all. I don't think previously I had clicked save and then reset on the reset permission section so I was hoping that would be difference but that didn't seem to help. I also did it a second time when I realised that Plex was still running, just in case that could prevent it from correctly resetting the permissions.

I've attached the results of the reset (photo1) and my SMB settings (Picture 2 and 3). As far as I can tell they all seem fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disable allow master browser, that setting has issues when using wsdd then try again.

To give you a scenario on this should just work, I was using Raid5, I backed everything up, and replaced 2 of the older drives, wiped the existing drives then set up mergerfs and snapraid, created the same folder set up and smb shares, copied the data back. Had initial problems with not being able to access, reset permissions via the plugin for each folder, then set up Emby.

Reset permissions -> Save -> Apply works, I've just tested this on my own OMV, created a share with everyone read/write then created an smb share with guest allowed and it works.

EDIT: You mentioned you are using snapraid on it's own, have you created a snapraid pool?

• I tried the master browser setting and sadly that had no effect.

You have jogged my memory that I did touch snapraid too while I was setting this up and I had a look over this guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkdPyCt5FU) and it looks like I may have stuffed up my setup with Snapraid as shown in Photo 1. While I was getting Plex up and running I told it to Sync, who knows what that did with my questionable setup.

In goodish news I am pretty sure it is either snapraid or unionfs which is causing me strife. I created a new share which isn't linked to the "Storage" pool, but rather just points to one of the drives on my server and I can get in fine. So weirdly it's only if I try and access the merged pool created by unionfs I am locked out. I am suspicious my shonky snapraid setup which I synced may have done this, but I can't find any way to actually reset snapraid. If I try and sync etc. it says

Disk 'Storage' with uuid '' not present in the configuration file!
    If you have removed it from the configuration file, please restore it

A little unsure how to proceed at this point to be honest.

• Oh I am pretty sure I've done something stupid with adding my mergefs to snapraid and it appears to have played some serious havoc with me getting access.

Photo of my File System setup below. Perfectly balanced.... as all things should be. Actually spreading the files around is a problem for another day though.

sde1 is the SSD that OMV runs on and Drive1 to Drive3 are the data drives.. Swapped to a SSD for the OS because spinning up 5 platter drives at the same time was more than my previous power supply could handle.... Powering your computer up, then pushing the HDD cages in one at a time, letting them spin up and then locking the front of the server shut is fun the first 1 or 2 times but get's tiring fast.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh I am pretty sure I've done something stupid with adding my mergefs to snapraid and it appears to have played some serious havoc with me getting access.

That's an understatement :)

Photo of my File System setup below. Perfectly balanced.... as all things should be. Actually spreading the files around is a problem for another day though.

No quite the opposite, you have one drive that is full and the snapraid parity with virtually nothing on it!!

Have you got a backup or do you have a backup? Because I have no idea how to get out of this other than starting again :( + Docker config files which Plex uses don't work on mergerfs, I have tried twice now and I have since added a single for Docker configs.

• All good, worst case I start again. I don't think I have any backups as I never got the system fully operational. I've basically got the data on it but the rest of the setup is pretty much a mangled mess by the looks of it. No matter!

In other news I believe I did actually get plex to work with the mergefs when I gave it full root privileges . It obviously doesn't work anymore but nothing works anymore so that is no surprise.

Anyway I'll nuke the OS and start again but follow the guides properly so we don't end up here again. Thanks for the help though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anyway I'll nuke the OS and start again but follow the guides properly so we don't end up here again.

There should be no need to nuke the OS, but it would be a quicker and simpler option, otherwise you'll have to delete everything starting in reverse of the initial setup.

The thing to remember with mergerfs, the name you give to your pool is not the share point it's the mount point, you then create your shares under that, so if you have a pool called storage the shares are created under that.

This is my filesystem setup;

This is my Union Filsystem (mergerfs)

This is my SnapRaid;

All my shares are then created under the fuse.mergerfs mount point, you could create just one share under that mount point, then create further shares under that, but I fail to see the need for that, best to have individual shares easier to deal with!!

If you want a snapshot of my share setup no problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!