Access/Permissions for configuration file (Home Assistant running in Docker)

• I have Home Assistant running successfully in Docker on an OMV installation as per the very helpful video walkthrough from Techno Dad Life. Works fine for what it can find in its basic autodiscovery feature, but to do manual setups of items Home Assistant is configurable by a file called config.yaml. It is findable and viewable, but not editable (file locked). Having not had much experience with Docker, having followed the HOW TO video pretty much to the letter, is there some thing I'm missing permission-wise to allow me edit access to config.yaml?
    (Techno Dad Life may want to update his video. It's great for initial HomeAssistant startup/server creation, but you really can't go much farther with it than some basic cosmetic adjustments unless you have access to the HomeAssistant config files - not Docker config, HAss config).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you have misunderstood something within @TechnoDadLife video, (I have watched it but don't use it) the config file you refer to is set within the Docker container, in the volumes and bind mounts the /config is set to what is outside of the Docker container.

So when in the GUI and config changes are made they are written to that file (inside -> outside), the video also states that it was originally written for the Raspberry Pi so some options may not work. The video simply shows you how to install this in Docker and nothing else, even though an example is given on what could be done with HomeAssistant.

• The Home Assistant configuration.yaml file is meant to be editable in all flavors of Home Assistant be they rPi or x86, and I'm sure it is here. I'm betting the answer is something pretty basic I'm missing...being new to the Docker paradigm, like probably I need to shutdown the container, edit the file, restart the container. Think that would solve my problem or just create new ones?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The best way to understand this the /config inside the Docker container points to the /config outside of the container, the Docker container reads the file that is outside, that is why it is set in the Volumes and Bind mounts.

This container does not have a user specified in the Environment Variables unlike some, so when you create a user to login to the HomeAssistant GUI the /config file/folder does not know about that user, why because the config file is wherever you pointed to under /sharefolders as per the video.

So to overcome this (and this is just an assumption) create a user on OMV with the same name you created on the GUI, then give that user read/write access to where the config is, in the video it's under /sharefolders/AppData/Homeassistant and see if it works.

• OK, I will give that a try. The video (all of them in the series in fact) seem to play loosey-goosey with Users, ie. One user set up, allow guests/anonymous, read, write, delete access to all...Probably fine for simplicity's sake, and if you have no plans to expose your servers past the router...but still.
    It was probably time to address that and add in a user just to do maintenance anyway.

Do you have other video howtos and resources than TDL's that you recommend?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The video (all of them in the series in fact) seem to play loosey-goosey with Users, ie. One user set up, allow guests/anonymous, read, write, delete access to all..

I don't blame him for this. Folks that are attracted to videos, generally, are not the patient type. And most users, even the patient type, become lost in permissions issues when tweaks are required for their use case.
    With regard to those who are patient and persistent and want to understand permissions,,, you should try being on the receiving end of their questions. :) (Alice in Wonderland and rabbit holes come to mind.)

The most productive way to address the installation of a new app is to get it up and running, with few or no restrictions. Thereafter, the app itself is eliminated as the cause of a problem. Once the app is up and running; then it can become a users permissions LAB, where they can experiment and learn to their hearts content.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The video (all of them in the series in fact) seem to play loosey-goosey with Users, ie. One user set up,

Whilst @crashtest has replied to you you have to remember that @TechnoDadLife is an end user just like you who has spent his time creating these videos so other end users can watch and install without any errors. So the 'one user fits all' scenario, in fact is just adding a user to the docker container that then allows that user to read/write to what is outside the container.

I use Emby after watching the video set up I created an Emby user on OMV and used that PUID/PGID on my Emby docker. In respect of the HomeAssistant docker there is no reference to add a user to the docker container, but looking at it you could create the user in OMV add a PUID/PGID then login to the HomeAssitant GUI with that user during the set up. That user would then be able to read/write to the files outside of the container.

• Yeah, his videos got me up and running, so I can't really complain on that score (and in response to Geaves, I am also running Emby on the same OMV machine as HomeAssistant, so once I get HomeAssistant config issues sorted out, I'll probably have some questions about Emby upgrades in my next thread...baby steps).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!