Best way to backup server disks via USB?

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best way to backup server disks via USB?

Hey,

whats the best way for synchronising and backing up my server disk via usb? I'm thinking of using an external hard drive which I would like to plug in sometimes for automatic backup, say once a month. In the best of worlds automounted when connected and when backup is ready automatically unmounted. Is it possible?

I've read about USB backup plugin, but also Rsync setups and such. What's the easiest and best way to approach this?

Sorry if posted in the wrong category, wasn't sure about the placement..
    • There is the usbbackup-plugin. It uses rsync.

Workflow
      1. Plug in the drive
      2. the filesystem in mounted
      3. files are rsynced to the filesystem
      4. filesystem is unmounted
      5. you receive an email (if you like)
      6. unplug the drive
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

There is the usbbackup-plugin. It uses rsync.

Workflow
      1. Plug in the drive
      2. the filesystem in mounted
      3. files are rsynced to the filesystem
      4. filesystem is unmounted
      5. you receive an email (if you like)
      6. unplug the drive

I suppose it is exactly what I need, since between backup I turn off external drive in order to save power, but the file system says some drive xx is misissing and my log just getting fill with
      Mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Dis5 status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dis5 is not a mountpoint
      got mayby 200 pages of log in 3hours!

Should I delete the existing Rsyncinc order to use this plugin?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nefertiti ().

• I've read many posts regarding backing up the OMV system files but have some questions. Any info would be appreciated.
      1. Can I use the USBBackup plugin to backup the OS (boot & linux-root)? I'm already using the built in backup feature (fsarchiver) but would also like to save the OMV OS to an external USB flash drive.
      2. I've used clonezilla quite a bit in the past but I'm running an ARM processor so don't have that option in OMV. Could I boot to a Clonezilla USB drive, image the system partition to another drive then copy that image to a USB flash drive?
      3. Should I need to restore, is one backup method easier than another?

OMV is running on a 16GB eMMC. The OMV control panel lists the linux-root as using approx. 2.76GB of the 14gb available so I'm assuming I'd need a minimum 4GB USB flash drive(?)
      Thanks.
    • Hi,

I would like to join this conversation, because I have a similar question about backup and more importantly, RESTORE :).

As far as I understand, there are different backup ways and please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Option 1: Backup plugin
      Backup: Archive running OMV installation disk with (preferably) fsarchiver onto same shared folder (locally, USB stick or remote mounted share)
      Restore: Starting RescueCD from grub and point to archive file

Option 1: USBbackup plugin
      Backup: Rsync running OMV installation disk onto attached USB device
      Restore: ? not sure how to do it

Option 3: Clonezilla
      Backup: Boot into Clonezilla from grub and clone disk to attached USB storage.
      Restore: Starting Clonezilla from grub and restore the cloned disk

Questions:
      Clonezilla means downtime and manual work, correct?
      Do all options protect against complete disk failure? OMV is installed on a SSD and it has to be replaced physically
      Did I forget or misunderstand any option or procedure?
    • markH*56 wrote:

1. Can I use the USBBackup plugin to backup the OS (boot & linux-root)? I'm already using the built in backup feature (fsarchiver) but would also like to save the OMV OS to an external USB flash drive.
      No, unless you mean to backup a backup.

markH*56 wrote:

3. Should I need to restore, is one backup method easier than another?
      Clonezilla is the easiest and safest as it is not backing up a llive system.
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • Macom - thanks for the info. I should have said instead of the built in backup feature, can I use the USBbackup plugin to save the OS to a flash drive? I'm pretty sure the answer is no because I see no option to select the eMMC device to write to the flash drive, only "shared folders".
    • markH*56 wrote:

Macom - thanks for the info. I should have said instead of the built in backup feature, can I use the USBbackup plugin to save the OS to a flash drive? I'm pretty sure the answer is no because I see no option to select the eMMC device to write to the flash drive, only "shared folders".
      I was thinking of using the backup plugin to backup the OS. Then use the USBbackup plugin to backup the OS backup to an external drive.
      If you have a use case for it.
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest