OMV on Raspberry Pi 3B+ post installation issue.

• Greeting's,

I am having a terribly unsuccessful time at getting OMV to work on RPi. I am using a Ubuntu virtual machine to write the image file using etcher as I am having difficulty using etcher in MS Windows 10 (which host operating system on my laptop). After successful write, I am inserting the card to RPi and powering it on. I cab see successful boot but I am unable to get the OMV login page. Irrespective of the browser I use (Chrome / Firefox / Opera), I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error. I have waited for 2 hours with memory card inserted in the RPi and it being connected to the internet.

Errors:
    Failed to start kernel modules.
    I am seeing failed to start realtek H5 bluetooth support.
    failed to start a high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

RPi is getting an IP address, there are no DNS sinkholes (I do have Pi-Hole, but I have configured the router to use Google's DNS servers [8.8.8.8]).

Could someone please suggest a way to diagnose this?

Thank you.

PS: I have also tried by decompressing the image and using Win32Diskimager to write the .IMG file (with verification turned on). However, end result is the same. ;(

** EDIT **:

While RPi got an IP address, I realized that ping to google.com failed but 8.8.8.8. Meaning there was a DNS (name resolution) error. I tried dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=noninteractive resolvconf but it did not resolve the problem. Hence I manually edited /etc/resolv.conf and added:

#nameserver 1.1.1.1
    search local
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

I am able to ping google.com. However post reboot nameserver change to 1.1.1.1 and I have to edit the file to get internet to work on the Pi.

Whats going wrong here? Why is the imaging failing?

Here's the error for apt dist-upgrade

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    hostapd
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    5 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    Setting up nginx-full (1.10.3-1+deb9u2) ...
    Job for nginx.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status nginx.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript nginx, action "start" failed.
    ● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-05-06 00:51:27 UTC; 26ms ago
    Docs: man:nginx(8)
    Process: 12185 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi nginx[12185]: nginx: [emerg] socket() [::]:80 failed (97: Address family not supported by protocol)
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi nginx[12185]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nginx.service: Unit entered failed state.
    May 06 00:51:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    dpkg: error processing package nginx-full (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nginx:
    nginx depends on nginx-full (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~) | nginx-light (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~) | nginx-extras (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~); however:
    Package nginx-full is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-light is not installed.
    Package nginx-extras is not installed.
    nginx depends on nginx-full (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2) | nginx-light (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2) | nginx-extras (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2); however:
    Package nginx-full is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-light is not installed.
    Package nginx-extras is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package nginx (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
    openmediavault depends on nginx; however:
    Package nginx is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-full which provides nginx is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-omvextrasorg:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg depends on openmediavault (>= 4.0.4); however:
    Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-omvextrasorg (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-flashmemory:
    openmediavault-flashmemory depends on openmediavault (>= 3.0.40); however:
    Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-flashmemory (--configure):
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nginx-full
    nginx
    openmediavault
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    openmediavault-flashmemory
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

After couple of reboots and apt update & apt dist-upgrade followed by installation of rpi-update and updating firmware to the latest version, everything seems to be working fine. I can see the GUI. However, before I use the system with live data, do I need to do (is there a way) to carry out integrity checks to ensure no errors will develop due to manual updating?

** EDIT 2 **.

I have found the reason why 1.1.1.1 is not working for me. My ISP in all it's glory has blocked it - https://community.cloudflare.c…roadband-indian-isp/16866

• Could someone please suggest a way to diagnose this?

The OMV image needs Internet access on 1st boot otherwise you run into problems (web interface not reachable). As such all that's needed is fixing Internet access. Once you resolved this problem everything works flawlessly and especially no stunts like 'apt dist-upgrade followed by installation of rpi-update and updating firmware to the latest version' are necessary.

• I have done rpi-update installation to update the firmware and allow for NAS over WiFi

That's not necessary. Running rpi-update is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing (and then you clearly don't use a RPi as NAS -- there exist no device that is more lousy for this use case than those 'everything behind a single USB2 port' SBCs). All that's needed for Wi-Fi with the RPi is having Internet access at 1st boot, then letting the image update itself (installing the necessary packages, it's really just this followed by a reboot!)

Wrt DNS: Yes, I agree that having 1.1.1.1 is wrong (it was even more wrong when Armbian used 8.8.8.8 before) and I never understood why Armbian sets any DNS server at all (and the project lead never answered such questions). To fix this please follow the steps outlined here: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=60552

• @tkaiser thank you very much once again.

I understand the technical reasons you don't prefer using RPi as a NAS. I would say yes to that considering definition / expectation from a NAS. However, in case of a home usage where primary requirement is availability and resilience as opposed to speed (throughput) and size of data, would your answer remain the same?

Hence, keeping in mind the bandwidth constraints of RPi where "gigabit" ethernet rides on a slower USB 2.0 bandwidth. Will using RPi for NAS have any other negative implications on hardware (attached HDDs)? Keeping costs in mind, I wanted to design a small NAS which I will populate with data beforehand and use mainly to synchronize changes made to Microsoft Office files (hence small in size, no one really does PPTX with embedded multimedia files at my home :) ) --- Would you still advise against using RPi for this?

My requirement does not have speed but just ease of having large number HDD's available as opposed to plugging them one by one?

Thank you very much.

• You have listed mayof alternatives and I thank you for the reasearch and time you've spent on sharing knowledge.

Which one would you suggest as a good open source alternative; as in one having possibility of putting an OS like OMV or OpenNAS as opposed to using vendor supplied OS only.

I have limited budget and having ability to add multiple HDDs to create a RAID would be a sweet addition. :)

Thank you for all your help. I am sure you will be happy knowing, I'm dropping idea of using RPi for my home NAS. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!