Using Pi-hole on OMV - unable to login to web interface

• Hello, pardon if this is in the wrong place.
    I have an install of OMV on a Pi 3+ that's been in place for a couple of months. I came across a guide for installing Pi-hole on OMV, which seemed like a great solution since OMV is on all the time. It's an older method that suggested setting the active port for PH to 8080, which I did. Initially, there were no problems. I could log into OMV by going to a browser and typing in its IP for my network: 192.168.1.103; getting into the PH interface just required that I add :8080/admin to the end of that.
    I'm trying to log in now to update the blacklist as some ads are starting to creep back in, and it refuses let me connect on Mac, Raspbian, or PCLOS. Since this has become a problem, I'd also like to reconfigure according to this howto: https://www.mediafire.com/file…c3/HOWTO-PiHole.pdf/file.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use the How To on mediafire, if you add the Docker Plugin to your system.

The first thing to do is backup your boot SD-card:
    If you have Pi-hole direct installed, you'll need to purge it. Then, bring your installation up-to-date, install the Docker plugin, reboot, and follow the How-To.

BTW: Using any port other than 80 disables full page blocks. This is the reason why Pi-hole works well in a Docker, with it's own IP address. Using a separate address, from the OMV host, gives Pi-hole exclusive access to ports 80 and 443 on that address.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have yet to remove pi-hole on the command.
    However,the pi-hole web site suggests that removal is done with pihole uninstall on the command line.

If it doesn't work out, you have your backup. (For this reason alone, maintaining an SD-card clone is a good idea.)

• I've finally gotten around to trying this but I'm not getting any love. I reinstalled OMV to give myself a clean slate, but when I get to the stage of creating a new network after pulling the image, I get the following error:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.1681.1 -o parent=enxb827eb07eac4 WORKGROUP' with exit code '1':  in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(1082): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->createNetwork(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('createNetwork', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'createNetwork', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

I also get this when trying to set a static ip for OMV itself. I'm grateful for any guidance you can give.
    EDIT: I ran ifconfig from the command line in an SSH session and noticed that eth0 had a subnet of 255.255.255.0, but docker had 255.255.0.0. I tried running network creation again but it returned the same error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you notice this, from the error message above? Do you see anything wrong with it?

--gateway=192.1681.1

All of the parameters must be spot perfect, or you'll get an error. I would delete the MacVlan interface and try again.

• If only it were that simple. Same error code is generated with the decimal in the right place.

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.168.1.1 -o parent=enxb827eb07eac4 WORKGROUP' with exit code '1':  in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(1082): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->createNetwork(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('createNetwork', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'createNetwork', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Since you're running an R-PI, I'm going to assume that you added the appropriate tag (4.2.2-1_armhf) to the tag field. If not, ARM devices won't work with most X86 dockers.

While nothing jumps out with a look, the error appears network related. I'm going to assume that your routers network is 192.168.1.0/24? Did you use 192.168.1.0/24 in the subnet field?

Also, I'd recheck the interface name. There's a lot of room, in something that long, for a single error.

You may have something else going on, that's not obvious, which might explain why the previous Pi-Hole install began to fail.

- In setting OMV up, it's important to run a hash on the image you downloaded. Slight corruption of the image can have odd effects, on an otherwise functional install.
    - Generic SD-cards are bad news. They may pass an error test, but still do odd things to the OS. Use SanDisk or Samsung, a good card. Cheap cards may work for a time, then they don't. This is a lesson I've learned the hard way.
    - The PS you're using may not have enough output or is otherwise "dirty" with noise and/or AC ripple. (And the latter can gradually get worse, over time, as one of the bridges begin to fail.)
    This is especially true if you're trying to power an external USB hard drive through the R-PI, pushing the PS into an undervolt condition. PS issues are a major problem with SBC's in general. The little cubes and bricks supplied with SBC's, or those suggested by the SBC OEM, are usually more about "low cost" than clean output and safety for the device they're attached to.
    - In setting up OMV, and as it should be with most server setups, it's best to use static IP addressing and a static DNS address. The less dependent you are on the processes of a consumer router, the better.
    - When I bought R-PI's, since there's no other way to isolate a fault in the device itself, I bought two.
    (While this may seem to be extreme, I'm conservative.)

Since you have backup, consider rebuilding your second card in accordance with this guide, with the appropriate tests of the image and the SD-card. With a clean install, you could reinstall the Docker Plugin and try the How To again.

I know you may be frustrated by all of this but realize that the How-To is verified, each time I update it. Dozens to hundreds of users, have used it successfully. (The How-To, for ArmHF, has been verified by this user about a week ago.)

In a closing note, it may be time to move on from the R-PI. When I came to realize what R-PI's are, novelty devices - nothing more, that's what I did. Any x86 platform would perform better and they're almost certain to be more reliable.

• I've been running Pi-Hole for a couple of months now based on this guide, thank you. I ran through again and got it running.
    How are updates to Pi-Hole handled, does this occur automatically when updating all OMV packages or is there more to it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

To update, you'd have to pull the latest Docker image and setup a new container from the new image.

While you'll see "new version available" in Pi-holes web console, in many cases, these updates are very minor upgrades (usually bug fixes for oddball use cases). Rarely is there a major version upgrade. As a result, I update only once or twice a year.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!