"Permission denied" when running rsync job

• Hello Forum,

I would like to maintain this command as rsync job in OMV web interface (4.1.12 (Arrakis):

Code
    rsync --rsync-path=/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/rsync -avb root@libreelec:/var/media/INTENSO/Fotos /sharedfolders/Backup/libreelec/

When I execute this in OMV bash, I need to enter the password of root@libreelec and then all folders/files get pulled from Libreelec to my OMV system.

These are my settings in rsync jobs:

• Type: Remote
    • Mode: Pull
    • Source Server: root@libreelec:/var/media/INTENSO/Fotos
    • Destination shared folder: libreelec [on BK01, Backup/libreelec/]
    • Authentication: Password
    • Password: *****
    • all additional settings: unchanged
    • extra options: --rsync-path=/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/rsync

When I perform "run" I receive this error message:

my user rights for folder /sharedfolders/Backup/libreelec (and subfolders):

drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 19 Mai 9 09:37 libreelec

My first Idea: I would like to check which rsync command is in fact composed (and executed) from my settings in the rsync job. Where can I find this?

My second idea: is </srv/dev-disk-by-label-BK01/Backup/libreelec> the same as /sharedfolders/Backup/libreelec ?

Any other ideas how to solve this?

Many thanks for your kind support

Newtren

• My first Idea: I would like to check which rsync command is in fact composed (and executed) from my settings in the rsync job. Where can I find this?

My second idea: is </srv/dev-disk-by-label-BK01/Backup/libreelec> the same as /sharedfolders/Backup/libreelec ?

Hello forum,

is this a reasonable approach to solve my issue?

• How can I check the full rsync command which is composed by OMV?
    • Can someone confirm, that /srv/dev-disk-by-label-BK01/Backup/libreelec is the same as /sharedfolders/Backup/libreelec?
      Otherwise I need to search in a different direction
    • "Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)." - shall I try to setup a passwordless login with public key?

Thanks for any hints

Newtren

• I suspected that there might be a cron/anacron job somewhere. I found it here:

/etc/cron.d/openmediavault-rsync

It contains

Code
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    # m h dom mon dow user    command
    13 8 * * * root /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsync-fcc54383-1496-4715-8ca7-d1e17016770a >/dev/null 2>&1

So I checked

/var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsync-fcc54383-1496-4715-8ca7-d1e17016770a

it contains

So I executed this rsync command (line 30) in bash:

the rsync command works (here with password (line 2)).

My thesis:
    rsync may fail due to login issue on libreelec.

So I configured passwordless login:

(public key already exists already on OMV, so I just copied public key to remote device "libreelec"):

and it works with ssh:

Now the rsync command works in bash without PW:

Final test: what if I execute the rsync job in OMV web gui (did not change the settings):

:thumbup:

Conclusion:
    rsync works in my case only with public key authentication even the rsync job is set up with password authentication.

• Glad you found a solution :) I too set up my rsync job using keys as opposed to passwords, which took a min to set up but works flawlessly.

A side question if you don't mind, can you modify the content of the destination folder over SMB? Because on mine, as soon as a rsync job is run, the destination folder becomes sorta "read-only" when working with SMB... makes me wonder whether this is the correct behavior.

Cheers.

• thanks Newtren !

Addition: create the Public Key in "Certificates" -> "SSH" -> "+ Add", type in a name to identify the key. Afterwards when you go to "copy" you can copy the public key to the server, no ssh-copy-id command needed

• Hi there,

I come into this conversation while searching for this "copy"

@kevbu do you know what command is run by OMV when this "copy" is run ??

I would like to create a cron job doing the exact same thing.... "copy" the certificate to a remote server...

any advice ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!