how to part blank disk through the webui?

• after attach new blank disk, i found that if if create filesystem on it, it use the whole disk by default. Can't create partition, then how toc create partitions, use gdisk or fdisk int terminal?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You cant do that from the webUI..

You can:

1. Do it from the command line

2. If you have omv-extras installed, you can use it to download Gparted Live, boot it, and use it to partition the disk.

3. Or you can do it the old fashioned way, download Gparted, put it on a flash drive, and boot it, and then use it to format the drive...

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

• ok, I see.
    I have tried to use clonezilla and gparted iso, but after reboot, I can't boot from the ISO file
    Error as discribed below:
    no loop device
    should load kernel first.

does the live ISO support uefi platform?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Honestly, I don't know.. I haven't used it in years. If not, you could just as easily just download an Ubuntu Live CD iso, put it on a USB and use Gparted on it and accomplish the same thing.

• I want make separate partitions to store different files. I am not familiar with nas, but familiar with debian, perhaps i still have some old knowledge?
    a blank disk do not need parted, just one partitions and make different locations by share folders?
    or there are some other step which can make different partitions, after setup aufs, lvm or raid?
    which storage plan is suitable for a home user?
    thanks a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the benefit of using partitions in your opinion? I'm asking because i want to understand it.
    In OMV data is separated by using shared folders. So there is absolutely no need to use partitions, this concept is antique and makes maintenance difficult.

a blank disk do not need parted, just one partitions and make different locations by share folders?

If you create a filesystem via UI the whole device is wiped, one partition and a filesystem is created. Use shared folders to order your data.

• in my opinion, separated partitions can isolate errors, one partition down, others may survive. I parted different partitions to use as root, home, var, usr local and etc for my debian box before
    this may not fit for nas.

• en, i need to change mind.
    Among raid, lvm, aufs or just traditional partitions, which one is suitable for home nas, just for the storage of photos and videos from smart phone, personal documents, and maybe some HD movies?
    considering use an external device to backup important data.
    thanks a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably need to read about lvm and aufs.
    For home users any kind of raid makes no sense for most users. I think most people in this forum will probably agree.
    If the size of your disk is sufficient you only need ext4. For the start keep it simple.

For sure you need backup. For example one in your home for easy revecovery and one remote for more severe threads (fire, flood, etc.)
    Search the forum for "RAID is not backup" and have a look at the link in my signature.

• You probably need to read about lvm and aufs.
    For home users any kind of raid makes no sense for most users. I think most people in this forum will probably agree.
    If the size of your disk is sufficient you only need ext4. For the start keep it simple.

For sure you need backup. For example one in your home for easy revecovery and one remote for more severe threads (fire, flood, etc.)
    Search the forum for "RAID is not backup" and have a look at the link in my signature.

I think that aufs or lvm can adjust the size of the partition when that is not enough to use.
    but i am a little worried about the filesystem's efficiency and the rescure is convenient or not when met some trouble.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!