[smbd] sys_path_to_bdev() failed for path

• Hello,

I noticed, that in my logs I get many, many messages

Any clue, what could cause this?

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• Do you use btrfs?

If you use a subvolume or snapshot in the path from a Samba share, this problem occurs. (I had that too).

Yesterday I tried this with the /etc/fstab entries. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1735953

Didn't look like it was working.

My workaround. I share now a parent folder of the btrfs subvolume or btrfs snapshot.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-data/smbdshareme/@btrfssubvolume OR /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data/@btrfssubvolume

(In my case, it's in OMV: Shared Folders, Relative Path /)

Instead of /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data/@smbbtrfsshareme

At the moment the /etc/fstab is still edited. If the errors stay away for the next days, I will change the fstab back to the original one.

It may also help you.

• Hi,

Did also face the issue.

Alternatively to sharing parent folder, a simple trick is to add any btrfs subvolumes involved in a share path in /etc/fstab:

# >>> [openmediavault]

/dev/disk/by-label/SHARE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SHARE btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2

# <<< [openmediavault]

# mount subvol to avoid sys_path_to_bdev() error !

/dev/disk/by-label/SHARE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SHARE/home btrfs subvol=home,defaults,nofail 0 0

/dev/disk/by-label/SHARE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SHARE/data btrfs subvol=data,defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0

Do not forget to add 'subvol' (or 'subvolid') in mount options. As an extra, you can then mount a subvolume with different generic options from its parent (noatime,...). Unfortunately, btrfs specific options such as 'nodatacow' are not supported (see details here).

The question is should I keep these extra lines out of OMV control as in this example, or should I add them in OMV config ? :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!