Newbie needing help understanding why OMV 4.x install does not work on Raspberry Pi 3B+

• Hi Everyone,

First post here, Linux newbie and in need of your help.

I am trying to do a simple thing : Installing OMV 4.1.7 (Arrakis) on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ in order to set up a NAS with 2 external HDD and Plex.
    I have been reading blogs, tutorials and watching as much as youtube Video about it for the past 2 months before starting to do so this weekend. I expected to have some issue to resolve on the way but after trying numerous times i think i reached my limit of understanding Linux and raspberry Pi.

EDIT : My message was too long so here's PART 1 (PART 2 coming in the thread)

Here's what I used and what I've done so far.

I have :

- 1 Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (from ABOX Ultimate Starter Kit w/ the pre-load SD Card w/ NOOBs from amazon)
    - 1 32GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SD Card class 10 for Booting
    - 1 Western Digital 4TB External HDD

A few important notes:

- My RPI 3b+ has its own power supply 5V
    - My Ext. HDD has its own power supply
    - I am using Win 10 to format and Flash my SD Card for my RPI 3b+
    - I tried on both Chrome and Brave

What I have done : I ended up following this tutorial from TechnoDadLife, I found very well explained.

- I used an USB SD Card reader to plug into my PC (Win 10) and formated the SD Card to FAT32 to wipe clean the pre-load NOOBs and start with a fresh SD Card.
    - I went on the OMV website to download the OMV 4.x image. I've tried once with the .iso from the tutorial and once with the one for Raspberry Pi (after the first boot attempt failed)
    - I downloaded Etcher to Flash the OMV 4.x image
    - I did flashed the OMV 4.x with Etcher with no issue.
    - I plugged a monitor to my RPI with HDMI, I plugged my Ext. HDD to one of the USB posrt of the RPI, I plugged the RPI to my network through Ethernet using a network cable RJ45. I also plugged a keyboard and a mouse in the RPI.
    - I properly removed the SD Card from my computer then plugged it in my RPi 3 B+
    - I then plugged the Power supply to my RPI 3b+ and it started well. Red light for power and Green flashing light for booting.
    - I can see the 4 raspberries on top of my booting screen but then...

This is when the trouble comes. On my Booting screen I have some failure. I had many failure so I read a lot in this forum to try to find some fix. I changed the config.txt file by adding gpu_mem_1024=512. It seems to have remove some failure but I still have the following issue on my booting screen.

[ Failed ] Failed to activate swap / var / swap
    [ Dependency ] Failed for swap
    [ OK ] I have a bunch of 'OK' lines
    [ OK ] Starting Realtek H5 bluetooth support...
    [ OK ] Started Realtek H5 bluetooth support.
    [ OK ] Stopped Realtek H5 bluetooth support.
    [ Failed ] Failed to start Realtek H5 bluetooth support.

I also used to have :

[ Failed ] Failed to start a high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
    see 'systemct1 status tinker-bluetooth.service' for details

But this one has been gone for an unknown reason on my last try (I changed the gpu_mem_1024 before trying a new reboot maybe that's why)

Despite some Failed lines in the booting screen, I still managed to get to the RPI login and password prompt, but if I enter the login and password, it seems to work enough to get to this error and then asking me again for login and password :

I don't understand why I have this error : No directory, logging in with HOME=/ This account is currently not available.

I tried to access to the web control panel and it WORKS. I can log in with admin/openmediavault and navigate through the webUI, but I keep having trouble every time I try an upgrade or checking action.
    i.e: When I go to the Update Management section and hit the 'Check' Button I have this error popping :

When I try to Upgrade or Edit a service/plugin I don't have the pop up window that is supposed to open to show you the progression of the action, and it does nothing.

PART 2 below...

• PART 2

What I've tried :

- I thought Etcher could have been flashing OMV 4.x image wrong so I tried to flash with Rufus but got the same issues, so Etcher is out of the list to blame.
    - I thought I should try to have EXT4 as a flie system when formatting my SD Card (because I was out of option to be honest),so i did and i had more issue than before so i went back to formating my Micro SD Card in FAT32 on Win10 in order to flash my OMV 4.x
    - I thought the problem was the SD Card so I put back the NOOBs image and installed Raspbian perfectly with no issue, so it's not the SD Card
    - I read on this forum that the config.txt file my have the answers so I added the gpu_mem_1024 line since it,s a RPI 3B+. It seems to have fix a couple of Failed lines but not everything.
    - The very first time I boot OMV in the Pi I managed to have the web control panel works nicely, I was able to check, upgrade an enable plugins and services with the pop window and no issues, but I had a massive bug when trying to enable and update the Docker and Shell in a Box. I then got logged out of OMV and was never allowed to get back in despite using the right credentials. When I try to wipe clean the SD Card and do a new fresh, it never worked again.
    - I emptied my cache browser, both on Chrome and Brave. I also restarted my computer, just to be sure. Nothing worked.
    - I have never been able to have access OMV through an SSH console. The best I can get is to be stuck at the username/password prompt and I always get ''Access Denied''. I cannot access to 'omv-firstaid' and I did not yet changed the password.
    - I tried to use Shell in a box it obviously did not work so I try with PuTTY and was able to connect to my NAS IP Address but got stuck on the logging part as stated above.
    - I went on the web to check if anyone got this issue, i found a tons of post about having issues installing and configuring OMV on Pi but I couldn't find anything that helped me, and to be honest my linux expertise is to slim to undestand what i was reading.

I barely used the shell in my life and I don,t even begin to understand why I have issue booting an image that seems to work fine with other people despite having out-of-the-box hardware.

If it can help, here's my config.txt file :

Also I noticed that my SD Card got more than one partition after trying to boot OMV on my RPI despite having formated my SD Card on 1 partition named E:/(BOOT):

• - Partition 1: 63Mo (called 'boot', this is the partition I formatted and flashed the OMV image on with Etcher, it's recognized by Windows and I can access the files)
    • - Partition 2: 7.33Go (not recognized by Windows, prompts a message asking to format this partition now named F:/)
    • - Partition 3: 22.04Go (not recognized by Windows, prompts a message asking to format this partition now named G:/)
    • - Non allocated : 304Mo

I don't know why. I assume OMV is doing this but I wonder if this could have an impact on the issue I have.
    I am out of my league here I think but i really want to get it work, could you help me figuring out why i cannot properly intall OMV on my RPI 3B+ please ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• The readme.txt at the download location explains

• that you won't be able to SSH into OMV until you enable this in OMV's UI
    • that 3 partitions will be created and the last one needs to be formatted to your own needs if you want to use it for data
    • that some magic happens at first boot

If there would be the need to modify any config files it would be mentioned there too. And OMV is meant to be running headless so the best idea is to detach the HDMI monitor (the messages obviously confuse only) and simply follow the readme.txt, let the installation finish on first boot (Internet access required) and then enjoy OMV.

If you watch OMV's dashboard you should see that the device is at kernel 4.14. If it's 4.9 then something went wrong (your your post #1 above confirms that you're on 4.14 already -- so everything fine!). Otherwise you should use OMV's update tab to install all available updates until there's nothing listed any more.

Wrt partitioning: you can do whatever you want to partitions but once you write the OMV image you also overwrite the partition table (this is true for every SBC and every OS image out there -- only exception is RPi+NOOBS where partitioning is important prior to 'installing' OS images. So please don't let you confuse by NOOBS).

After the OMV image has been written there will be 2 partitions, after you booted the OMV image the first time, there will be 3 partitions.

• Hi tkaiser,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I did read the readme.txt at downloading, I learned a couple of things that was handy but it did not help me figuring out why I have problems.

I do am able to access OMV through the webUI. It seems like the install and booting went fine but as soon as I try to do the updates from the update tag (being the first thing I do), i can check for new updates but I cannot upgrade them. I select them all and click on the ''Upgrade'' Button but nothing happens, I don,t see any pop-up window running the upgrade, just nothing happen.

Then I tried to go to the OMV-Extras tab to enable Docker CE. I click on the ''Edit'' button but I got the error I posted in my first pot, which is :

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1' with exit code '139': Segmentation fault

Details:

Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1' with exit code '139': Segmentation fault in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc:220Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMVRpcServiceApt->{closure}('/tmp/bgstatuslg...', '/tmp/bgoutputPD...')#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc(224): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceApt->update(NULL, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('update', NULL, Array)#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Apt', 'update', NULL, Array, 1)#6 {main}

This is when I thought the install went wrong, but maybe I missed something. Am I supposed to wait a certain amount of time after booting for the first time before trying to to the upgrade ?

• Am I supposed to wait a certain amount of time after booting for the first time before trying to to the upgrade ?

Yes, same is true for reboots since on the OMV ARM images the unattended-upgrades package is installed which automagically tries to install available security updates. No idea how/whether OMV can cope with the situation that another process (unattended-upgrades) already installs updates.

But in your case it's different since a 'Segmentation fault' is reported which is a severe problem. But I'm too tired trying to diagnose such problems since usually with those lousy Raspberries it's always either bad SD card or bad powering. Waste of time to deal with these horrible devices (for the NAS use case).

• Well actually it's very useful for me what you just said :)

I'll try with another SD Card and another power supply and see how it goes. At least i can start there and look for this ''Segmentation '' issue.

Thanks a lot :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!