hp Prodesk setup

• Hi Everyone,

I can have a HP Prodesk 400 G1 SFF from my company.

The main caracteristics are:
    Intel core i3 4130
    3 Sata ports (extensible with an pci card)
    an HDD of 500 GB

My futur use:
    - Use an SSD (120 GB or 60 GB depend on what I found) or an USB key (Some opinions are welcome to make the choice) for the system
    - Save datas and computers on 2*2-3TB HDD in Raid1 (5400 RPM because the machine going to be in my living room next to my 3D printer)
    - Use the 500 GB HDD to run some VM's (to be independant of my raid 1 configuration) when I need them and stock some non important datas
    - Run a Plex server ( 1 transcode operation ) (save and other heavy task will not run in the same time)
    - Put Docker
    - Put a Git server
    - Put JDownloader

And that's almost all.

So the question is: The i3 would be sufficient ?

And if it's not, Which caractéristics I should search first ( cores, gen or others)?

And the second one, should I get a passive cooler if it exist ?

Thanks in advance

hp28190

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the question is: The i3 would be sufficient ?

For the core NAS function, a couple Dockers and a few add-on's, an i3 would be fine - more than enough. With the right amount of RAM and a VM that's not resource intensive, an i3 should be fine. If you want to run multiple VM's, or VM's with Desktops and that sort of thing, that would be another matter. In that case, something fast with more cores and RAM would be better.

3 Sata ports (extensible with an pci card)

The number of drives is up to you. I'm doing fine with 3 on my main server. I did flash an 8 port SAS card per this thread to upgrade an older commercial server.

- Use an SSD (120 GB or 60 GB depend on what I found) or an USB key (Some opinions are welcome to make the choice) for the system

Again, unless you're running multiple VM's and want to use the boot drive to store them, an SSD is a bit overkill for a boot drive. I've been running USB thumbdrives for years, on different boxes, without an issue. And since they're inexpensive you can clone them for OS backup, and you'll save an SATA port as well. (3 SATA ports for 3 data drives.) To set up a USB boot drive, along with setting up the flashmemory plugin - required for flash boot drives, this -> guide may be useful. There are general setup details in it as well.

- Save datas and computers on 2*2-3TB HDD in Raid1 (5400 RPM because the machine going to be in my living room next to my 3D printer)

RAID1? Why? Use Rsync and get real backup instead. (Also in the guide.)

- Run a Plex server ( 1 transcode operation ) (save and other heavy task will not run in the same time)
    - Put Docker
    - Put a Git server
    - Put JDownloader

An i3 should handle 1 transcode, if it's not overloaded with VM's. In the absence of VM's, the rest should not be a problem.

While others may have different opinions, since it's free, I'd build and use the i3 if for nothing more than a test. As your knowledge of OMV evolves and you figure out more specifically what you want to do, you'll make a better decision about a platform change later on.

• Hi Crashtest,

Thaks for your reply. So to answers to your questions:

- VM's would not be active at the same time. For exemple I need an Ubuntu to test some things, and then shut it down to reduce consuption and because it's not used.
    - Raid 1 it's because it would store some datas for my family and I need to be independant of a HDD crash for almost 1 week ( vacation, work shift ...) And most inportant, I want to have a small amount of datas on my computer, because it's start to be old and my hard drives too and don't want to change them.

And I saw before about the specificity of USB boot drive but it's mainly to get point of view of users about this 2 solutions.

Thanks again :)

And if somebody have test to make a NAS with a Small Form Factor pc, can you post the configuration here ? mainly for cooler advices.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!