rSync log viewing as it is on Control Panel page?

• Hi everyone -

So I am doing a massive restore of one drive to another via rSync. 4 terabytes of movie files, ISOs of installs, basically the whole archive of my home existence, including backups of my Windows machine.
    There is no time-remaining estimate that I can find (or can someone point me to a command that would guesstimate that in an rSync?), but I am guessing at 70 megabytes a second it will probably take a day or so?

I would like to look in on the process from time to time. I can use the command "tail -f /var/log/rsync.log" via SSH to view the progress off-site.
    If however I close the web browser window where I initiated the rSync, the process will keep going until it is done, but without as much detail as the web interface (megs per second, percentage progress per file, etc).
    Just a dull list AFTER the file is done transferring. I understand why, but I would prefer the detailed output simply because I am trying to troubleshoot if an older Western Digital drive is getting "stuck" while rSync'ing.

Is this possible via a command line log check somewhere? Or is the detailed logging only done on the web interface?
    Also, maybe if I initiate with SSH (then stop the process when I've seen enough progress, since it will continue where it left off the next time I run rSync) - what is the actual command line command that the web page is initiating to show the extra detail(s)?

I am using the "-v --progress" flag on the web page, if that's helpful. OMV v4.1.7 (Arrakis) running solid on an oDroix XU4.

Thanks very much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only use rsync from the command line or from scripts. When doing big rsync transfers I use SSH and screen to run rsync from the destination server using a pull.

SSH to avoid extra network traffic, screen to allow me to close/open the console if needed, pull to avoid problems with a full rootfs if a mount is lost.

One simple way to monitor the progress is to see how much the free storage on the destination shrinks. That way it is easy to verify that the transfer is still running and estimate how much time is left. You can also monitor disk and/or network activity.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!