Beginner question, should I install OMV 5?

• Hello,

I wanted to build my home server based on OMV, but was discouraged to install 4.1.3 because installation failed to detect network card. Google told me that this is a pretty widespread problem for my MB, but someone also mentioned that "newer kernel brings support for my device" (cannot find the exact post right now, but I believe 4.12 was mentioned). My question is:
    1. Will OMV 5 solve my problem? (is it based on kernel v. 4.12+)
    2. If I install OMV 5, will I be able to install any of the plugins? (by somehow forcing the installation even if they are not ported to the new version?)

3. Is there any other solution for my problem? For example, continue with the installation of 4.1.3 and later manually compile newer kernel?

Any advice appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will OMV 5 solve my problem?

Maybe since it uses the 4.19 kernel by default.

f I install OMV 5, will I be able to install any of the plugins?

Almost none of the omv-extras plugins are ready. All of the core OMV plugins are ready though.

by somehow forcing the installation even if they are not ported to the new version?)

No. Why would you want to do this? it is just asking for problems.

Is there any other solution for my problem?

Yep. Use a temporary network card or usb network adapter to update the system which by default will install the 4.19 backports kernel (same one used by OMV 5.x). Then you can remove the temporary card.

manually compile newer kernel?

No need.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello @milosta

Because of your hardware or network problem...

Had the horny thing with a new NUC :)

With Debian Buster my hardware went and I could install OMV5.

For testing I recommend to simply boot a Debian Buster from USB STick, when that starts up and your network is running your hardware problem should be fixed.

For testing please use the NonFree version because of the firmware etc....

• I went with ryecoaaron's advice and installed OMV 4, then updated the system.

As far as initial network connection problem goes, the solution is very simple, usb cable + smartphone + tethering

Even so, the installation troubles were far from over. Since I did the USB to USB installation the usual 'wrong device in grub config' happened. I really think info about this problem should be added to the Troubleshooting section of Installation instructions. After that I had various actions report the problem with opening localhost:2812, but didn't really try to solve it, just disabled monitoring in web gui.

Apart from that, system seems to function OK. Thanks for the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!