Reinstallation of OMV - will my data survive?

• I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've installed 4 X 8TB drives, and have played around with various RAID configurations. After reading this forum, I've decided that RAID is not the way to go for me. It is extremely slow to build, and I am just not comfortable with it. At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea. Now, I've re-installed OMV on a 500 GB HDD (this is what I have at hand).

My question is simple: If the OMV system disc fails, and I need to re-install OMV, will my data be available after the reinstallation?

Thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea.

If you install the flashmemory plugin this is fine. Many user use this.

If the OMV system disc fails, and I need to re-install OMV, will my data be available after the reinstallation?

Yes.

• I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've installed 4 X 8TB drives, and have played around with various RAID configurations. After reading this forum, I've decided that RAID is not the way to go for me. It is extremely slow to build, and I am just not comfortable with it. At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea. Now, I've re-installed OMV on a 500 GB HDD (this is what I have at hand).

My question is simple: If the OMV system disc fails, and I need to re-install OMV, will my data be available after the reinstallation?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you macom.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've installed 4 X 8TB drives, and have played around with various RAID configurations. After reading this forum, I've decided that RAID is not the way to go for me. It is extremely slow to build, and I am just not comfortable with it. At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea. Now, I've re-installed OMV on a 500 GB HDD (this is what I have at hand).

Thank you in advance.

In the early days of OMV, flash drives were absolutely not recommended due to the amount of disk writing done by the OS,.. this would nuke flash drives in no time flat So you may be seeing old threads on this issue. Then the flash-memory plugin came along, and solved that problem. A lot of people use the flash-memory plugin even with some of the cheaper SSD's available (myself included) as they are similar technologies. If you don't mind using a 500gig drive for an OS that will typically take less than 5gigs, your scenario works fine.

If your 500gig drive were to go toes up... simply disconnect your data drives, replace your OS drive, reinstall to the new OS drive, plugin data drives. Your data will still be on your data drives, you'll just have to recreate your shares, setup your services, etc.

• At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick

You should check those flash memory products with H2testw (Windows) or with f3. Main reason so many people have bad experience with low-end flash memory products is counterfeit flash: products that fake a higher capacity than real. Those products fail immediately after the amount of writes over the life time exceeds the real capacity (they die thousand times faster than 'real' flash products exposing their real capacity).

• Thank you tkaiser.

I am back running on the memory stick again, and so far, so good. I need to install that plug-in everyone is mentioning, for the memory stick.

• I am back running on the memory stick again, and so far, so good

If you didn't test your memory stick for fake capacity that might end with a 'nice' surprise.

I need to install that plug-in everyone is mentioning, for the memory stick

This won't help that much if you enabled monitoring.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@sweetbb you might as well want to have a look at SnapRAID-plugin-User-Guide-setup-undelete-replace-disk-reconnect-shared-folders.There is a chapter for reconnecting shared folders.

When I say "recreate".. it doesn't matter what file system you use, you have to create the shares in the webUI again. That is the same no matter what file system you use. You just create the share, and point it at whatever folder you had on your old data drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!