Noob questions

• Hi All.
    Total noob so some dumb questions.

Am looking for a simple system to connect to a home LAN with an external drive to store files and backups for 2 home PCs.

Having a folder or partition for media files would also be an advantage.

I have a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint for my 3D printer, but no real experience with Pi's

Questions :
    Is the OpenMediaVault a complete OS for the Pi ?
    Does the Pi need another OS on it's SD card to boot from ?

Can the OS be run from the SD card so I can change / swap the external hard drives at any time ?
    Can OMV on the Pi be accessed over the LAN from my Win8 PC so the Pi does not need a keyboard or monitor ?

Am sure there are more questions, but just trying to understand the basics of what OMV actually is ( in non-technical terms )

• 1),2) Yes the OMV Image is on an SD Card and you boot your computer with it.
    The raspberry pi however is a bad choice because it is too slow.
    You need an SBC with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3 port. (Rock64, Nanopi M4, etc.)

3) No, you cannot change the external drives frequently. This messes up things.
    Attach your external drives to your computer running the omv image and stay with the drives.
    You can add and remove drives, but not on the fly so to speak.

4) No, you don't need a keyboard for the SBC running omv. It can remain a headless server

• If you use it, it will work.
    But you'll only get 10 MB/s file transfer speed.
    That can be frustrating if you have to copy hundreds of GB.

With GbE you get 60-110 MB/s easily. Provided that you have a GbE LAN (Cables, switch, etc.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!