Issue with dockers resetting after OMV reboot

• Hello together, I am Sander from the Netherlands.
    I've started to use OMV back in 2012 as a more powerfull replacement for my D-link NAS and I have recently upgraded from OMV2 to OMV4 by performing a clean install.
    This is the first time I use docker, which seems to be a great solution.
    I'm no Linux guru and unfortunately, I'm experiencing some unexpected behaviour from the filesystem (?) in combination with Docker.
    I really think I am missing something obvious but cannot pinpoint the issue.

I'll explain my issue based on my Emby Docker container experience, the issue is the same for any container I have tried.

I configure my Emby docker pretty much exactly as the "Technodad" video shows with "/config" pointing to my location "/sharedfolders/ssd_appdata/Emby".
    I continue to configure my Emby with my premiere account, library details, VU+ pluging etc.
    Seen on the SMB share for "ssd_appdata on ssd" the folder gets populated nicely.
    I see it increasing in size as the library is being scanned; So far so good.

As soon as I reboot my OMV, the webinterface for Emby reverts to the initial "Welcome" screen and all my setting, libraries etc are gone.
    Looking at the SMB share for "ssd_appdata on ssd" the folder still remains populated with all the files from before the reboot.
    It doesn't seem like these files are used anymore by docker.

This seems to be caused by the location of the files, looking around with Putty as "root" for the data, the folder with the data from before the reboot is now here:
    ./srv/dev-disk-by-label-ssd/ssd_appdata/Emby
    The SMB share now seems to point to this location also.

While the Docker is still looking at:
    ./sharedfolders/ssd_appdata/Emby
    Which has "refreshed" ? ....

step-by-step:
    When I create a shared folder named "ssd_appdata" on my "ssd" drive in the OMV webinterface with the "add" button, immediately the folder "./srv/dev-disk-by-label-ssd/ssd_appdata" is created.
    Only when I choose the apply the changes as per popup "./sharedfolders/ssd_appdata" is created also.
    I now create an SMB share for the shared folder I've created.
    I then create the "Emby" folder by SMB and it appears on both locations "./srv/dev-disk-by-label-ssd/ssd_appdata/Emby" and "./sharedfolders/ssd_appdata/Emby"
    When I configure the docker and Emby by web interface, files appear on both locations.
    Then after a reboot, the "original" files remain on the location "./srv/dev-disk-by-label-ssd/ssd_appdata/Emby"
    After said reboot a new initial Emby directory is created and populated with new "initial setup" files on the location "./sharedfolders/ssd_appdata/Emby"

What is actually happening here ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks !

• No, just standard OMV with Docker and Shellinabox as the only plug-ins. All disks are single, no raid. I’ve also format the disks within OMV4 to have a fresh start then added all the data again by SMB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's strange... Only time I've saw this issue is when someone had their appdata folder on a merged file system... basically Docker was starting before the merged file system was mounting, so it was not reading the config data. I'm assuming for some reason docker is starting before the drive with your appdata folder is mounting. I'm not sure how to fix this, but you can test to see if that is the issue.

Try this
    Reboot the NAS (presumably you'll lose your settings)
    Once the NAS is back up, restart all your docker containers: docker restart $(docker ps -q)

If my theory is correct, after all your docker containers restart, open up your Emby client and see if it has all your data that was there before you restarted.

• Try this

Reboot the NAS (presumably you'll lose your settings)
    Once the NAS is back up, restart all your docker containers: docker restart $(docker ps -q)

Thanks for your help !

After this this command I get the reply "cdccc2b61de9".
    The issue remains and Emby is not reverted back to the pre-restart state.

I have moved appdata to another disk (my media hdd).
    Same issue.

I have now pointed docker to "./srv/dev-disk-by-label-ssd/ssd_appdata/Emby" instead of "./sharedfolders/ssd_appdata/Emby".
    This seems to have solved the issue :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!