OS disk out of space - what to do?

• Hi there,

I run OMV from a virtual machine (hosted on Centos) and started off with an 8GB disk (a guide told me to!)

Anyway I need a little more space. Every time I reboot I have to clear out the apt-cache or else I can't log in. It's rather annoying.

So I first re-sized my .img file +10G.

The file on the host, and the disk in the OMV console both show 18GB total now. But the FS won't resize to match.

Question - Should I be trying to resize? Or is there a better solution?

• Did you use ext4? This can be resized quite well, but of course you should not use it during resize. Mount a livestick or similar.
    The main question to me is, why do you use more than 8gb. Standard installations should not be that big, afaik.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ignoring the resize issues... You've got something else going on. I've got quite a bit going on on my NAS, and my OS drive is about 2.5gigs.... If you're using more than 8, I suspect you've got something that isn't set up correctly (first suspect in these cases is always either Plex or Emby)

• Offizieller Beitrag

How many older kernels are on your system? dpkg -l | grep linux-image | grep ii If you see more than two you can remove those and save 30M+ each.

Most debian systems remove older kernels keeping the latest two or three. apt-get autoremove Unfortunately OMV does not do this. You have remove them yourself. I had a feature request to have OMV do this but but it was closed. https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/299

Anyway if you are using more than 8GB you have something wrong as KM0201 said above. My mostly clean system uses less than 2GB. You need to see what is using all that space.

Since you are running a virtual environment recommend running a dedicated machine instead of a bunch of plugins on OMV. Why, so you wont run into problems like this. You can also keep them at the bleeding edge without relying on OMV maintainers. You also wont bring down the hole system with one bad upgrade.

Good luck

• Ignoring the resize issues... You've got something else going on. I've got quite a bit going on on my NAS, and my OS drive is about 2.5gigs.... If you're using more than 8, I suspect you've got something that isn't set up correctly (first suspect in these cases is always either Plex or Emby)

I originally had the plex plugin from omv-extras, I've since removed this and added it as a docker container.

on doing a du:
    /var/lib/plexmediaserver is using 2.2G
    /var/lib/docker is using 2.4G

I've created a new share for Docker and moved stuff across which should get me around the issues I was seeing, and deleted the plex stuff as it should not have been there, and is no longer needed :)

Still confused as to what to do with the .img file being 18G and the disk only showing 8G though!
    Will look at the post from tkaiser when I get a bit of time

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!