Flash Memory Plugin

• OMV 4.x
    • Flash Memory Plugin

I've been running OMV for under a week, as I discovered it late last week. I need to install the flash memory plug-in, but am having no success. I am running OMV 4.1.22.1 (Arrakis) on an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1820 @ 2.70GHz, with the Linux 4.19.0-0.bpo.4.amd64 kernel. The system has 4GB of ram installed, with 4 X 8TB drives installed. It currently boots and runs from a 32 GB flash drive.

I get an error message which I cannot copy to post here, but basically it says:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      openmediavault-flashmemory : Depens: folder2ram (>=0.3.1) but it is not installable
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      <<< ****************************************

Any help in getting this installed will be welcome.

Thank you.
    • I searched the internet for your error message and up came these suggested commands to attempt to fix problems of this type. Try each separately in order until your problem is fixed. None should cause problems except to make already existing problems more appearant.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 5 x 12TB, 1 x 8TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Then there seems to be some more serious problem. Perhaps some upgrade/update that went wrong in the past?

It might also be something with the repositories, but I doubt that. Then there would most likely have been many more that report the problem.

I suppose it would be possible to do things like check and update update the /etc/sources.list file. But that takes time and effort.

Personally I would just restore the rootfs using a backup that is known to work fine. And if even that didn't help reinstall from scratch. It would be much faster. At least for me. I have a very simple setup.
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 5 x 12TB, 1 x 8TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • sweetbb wrote:

I don't quite know how, but I've got it installed, but not sure if it is running at all.
      If it is installed, it should be working.

geaves wrote:

It displays under Storage select it and follow the instructions.
      They are optional instructions especially for noobs.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • sweetbb wrote:

but I've got it installed, but not sure if it is running at all
      As @geaves said if there's a 'Flash Memory' entry under Storage then it works. Though to really confirm you need to login via CLI/SSH and check df output.

Also there's no need to 'follow the instructions' since this is outright dangerous for people not familiar with the Linux command line, the benefits of fiddling around with /etc/fstab are minimal and hopefully this will change soon anyway and will be replaced with no 'optional instructions' and a simple adjustment of a kernel parameter. For details: Repair grub on sdcard
      No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone
    • One way to see the flashplugin in action is to issue the command iostat.

Then you should see a pretty low number of kB written/s to the drive with the rootfs. I get something like 1.4 - 1.8 kB/s written to the SD card per second on my HC2 ARM OMV computers. In comparision, on my laptop I get 300-400 kB/s witten to the SSD with the rootfs.
    • sweetbb wrote:

I've noticed that suddenly the flash memory drive is red and almost full in the dashboard. Is this normal?
      Hard to tell from here :) Since already mentioned you might want to provide the output of df -h.

sweetbb wrote:

I also notice that SSH is really slow to respond?
      Only when logging in (potential DNS problem) or also when typing?
      No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone