Loosing network connections

• Hello.
    So, for some time i haveing this problem. When i want to transfer (1-2GB+ files) from windows 10 (network drives) to an external drive or even sometimes when i'm watching a movie via plex server, the connection drops and i need to shutdown the openmediavault (rock64) and reopen it to acces again the network drive.
    Can someone help me please, i'm desperated..
    Any other info you need, let me know.
    Thanks in advance, Alex.

My actual samba settings:

Code
    max protocol = SMB3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Zuzuitu () aus folgendem Grund: smb

• I think i've found the solution..
    WIndows 10 got my this error for the first time:

Zitat

Default Gateway Is Not Available

So i tried to google it and i need to put in my network adapter the ip address, subnet mask and the gateway. This way it will not loose it and connection will be stable.
    And funny, i did a test with 4 files of 35gb each and it didn't stopped.

My new question is now, how can i put this settings in openmediavault also ?
    I entered in Network-Interfaces and under IPv4 i change in static and put my details but it gives me this error when i apply:

Zitat

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Can someone help me? Please...

• Well, i've entered the same settings (apart ip address) that i've put under windows aka:

Code
    address: 192.168.2.114
    netmask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.2.1

The ip address of the sbc is static in the router, don't know what i'm doing wrong...

• The first question is where did you obtain OMV for your Rock64 from?

From ayufan or from OMV's official download location?

If you're using an ayufan image you can be affected by network connections dropping (cable/switch problem) and not being established again afterwards (ayufan uses Debian's ifupdown mechanism that doesn't deal well with network outages). My OMV image from the download section above relies on Armbian and as such NetworkManager (NM).

NM deals flawlessly with network outages but it's important to NOT assign a static IP address (if there's the need for a static IP address use your router's feature to assign a static lease).

• Offizieller Beitrag

NM deals flawlessly with network outages but it's important to NOT assign a static IP address (if there's the need for a static IP address use your router's feature to assign a static lease).

Does this apply to all (or most) SBC images, in the current version - OMV4 ?

• Well, it's from Pine64 Installer which i think uses the ayufan img. Yes, i already applied a static lease on router for SBC.
    I guess i need to change it with the omv img if i want connection to be stable. At least, now i have an answer to all this.
    Thanks.

• Does this apply to all (or most) SBC images, in the current version - OMV4 ?

• NetworkManager deals really well with disrupted connections since it has been made for such situations. Debian's ifupdown is only suitable for real server environments. Once a link is down it needs an administrator to bring the interface up again
    • NM is default on all OMV images for ARM devices from the download page. The popular ayufan images for Pine64, Rock64 and RockPro64 rely on ifupdown instead (in a way that make them problematic to use with OMV anyway since using an entry in /etc/network/interfaces.d which the OMV engine is not aware of
    • NM doesn't touch interfaces that are already handled by ifupdown
    • So once you define the interface in OMV's UI an entry in /etc/network/interfaces will be created and as such NM won't handle this interface any more and now connection interruptions become a problem since OMV will not reestablish the connection under most circumstances any more
    • When using nmtui to set a static IP address this still works well (since NM still takes care about network disruptions), same when letting the DHCP server assign a static lease.

More details in this post and the ones before: OMV for RockPro64 (and other RK3399 devices soon)

it's from Pine64 Installer which i think uses the ayufan img

Yes, then it's an ayufan image. Since your symptoms sound like network disruptions in case you can't fix the root cause (cable issue? switch dying?) you could get the desired behavior by adopting https://github.com/armbian/bui…93#issuecomment-252751466 (installing NM, emptying /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/network/interfaces.d, removing all interfaces from the OMV UI and let NM do the job, optionally using nmtui to assign a static IP address.

In OMV5 network configuration is said to be based on systemd's networkd but it looks like the first interface is still handled by ifupdown :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

So once you define the interface in OMV's UI an entry in /etc/network/interfaces will be created and as such NM won't handle this interface any more and now connection interruptions become a problem since OMV will not reestablish the connection under most circumstances any more

This requires a change for initial SBC setup, in the new user guide, along with a brief explanation of why users should leave the GUI interface blank. (Setting a DHCP lease reservation, if needed, is easy enough.) I'm on the road - will make some updates in a few days.

Is there a way to clear an entry in /etc/network/interfaces to restore NM control? Is it just a matter of clearing the contents?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!