mv operation is taking ages (1 hdd)

• Hi,
    while performing mv operation on bunch of files located on one disk, iotop shows:
    Total DISK READ : 19.31 M/s | Total DISK WRITE : 19.46 M/s
    Actual DISK READ: 19.60 M/s | Actual DISK WRITE: 31.34 M/s

so my guess is, the data is being phisically transferred from one block to another. First time I see this that mv operation is taking ages...

How can I fix it?

Thanks and best regards

ARMBIAN 5.85 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.38-sunxi

• Code
    mv /sharedfolders/downloads/overl* /sharedfolders/Overl/

/dev/sda1 (/srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRED4TB) is the external disk attached containing sharedfolders, so one mount only.

• mv /sharedfolders/downloads/overl* /sharedfolders/Overl/

So please check with grep sharedfolders /etc/mtab whether these are different mounts. Adjusting source and destination and using the paths below /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRED4TB might solve the problem.

BTW: If these are different shares I would never move/copy data locally (but that's one of the many potential problems users will only be able to accept once they're hit by data corruption): Copy files internally via ssh allowed?

• Code
    grep sharedfolders /etc/mtab
    /dev/sda1 /sharedfolders/Overl ext4 rw,noexec,relatime,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /sharedfolders/downloads ext4 rw,noexec,relatime,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group 0 0

What do you mean by adjusting the source and destination?

If not cp or mv, than how move files from one share to another? What's your recommendation?

• replacing with /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRED4TB fixed it indeed. Thank you :).
    Is it the way to go, or did I mess somehing during the configuration on the way? On OMV 2.x I remember I could use /media/jsdojjoifjdsiojfssomething/share/... without headache, super fast...

Thanks for pointing out the issue while performing operations on files disregarding the filesharing deamons. Good to know.
    However, I don't know how it's possible to move data via filesharing deamon (NFS, SAMBA - too slow) nearly as fast as by doing it via ssh...

• However, I don't know how it's possible to move data via filesharing deamon (NFS, SAMBA - too slow) nearly as fast as by doing it via ssh...

Some filesharing daemons implement 'server side copy' (including moves) but it depends on exact version of Netatalk or Samba, settings and client requirements.

Anyway: since I help companies from time to time to recover from such issues I would always do such operations from the client and if needed consolidate shares into one so a move is always super fast.

• Some filesharing daemons implement 'server side copy' (including moves) but it depends on exact version of Netatalk or Samba, settings and client requirements

Wasn't aware of this. I have to dig deeper to find out more. Sounds great and wonders me if it's possible with my config...

always do such operations from the client and if needed consolidate shares into one so a move is always super fast

And that's the clue. I think, I should print this and put on a wall in my office :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!