Cannot access some NTFS folders from Windows7

• G'Day Folks,
    As a noobie I have successfully built OMV 4.1.3 and configured it.
    The intended use is for local network storage/backup.
    The OMV PC has an IDE 40GB for the system (EXT4) - sda and a Sata 500GB disk - sdc, partitioned into two volumes and formatted in NTFS.
    From my windows7 PC using the web interface, I can see and access the two published partitions of the 500GB disk. All looked good.
    My next move was to install an IDE 80GB disk - sdb (also ntfs) that is OK and was used in an old PC (that had died) so that I could acces files from that.
    From the windows 7 PC I can "see" sdb and the two partitions (and the labels) but I cannot see any folders in the partitions. The message is "This folder is empty".

I have attached a pic of the OMV File Systems...

and a second attachment from the Windows PC ...
    Dell-C and Dell-D are the sdb partitions.

I have spent some time scanning the forum, but have not yet found a post specific to my problem.
    I would appreciate a little help on this. Thanks.

• G'Day Folks,
    As a noobie I have successfully built OMV 4.1.3 and configured it.
    The intended use is for local network storage/backup.
    The OMV PC has an IDE 40GB for the system (EXT4) - sda and a Sata 500GB disk - sdc, partitioned into two volumes and formatted in NTFS.
    From my windows7 PC using the web interface, I can see and access the two published partitions of the 500GB disk. All looked good.
    My next move was to install an IDE 80GB disk - sdb (also ntfs) that is OK and was used in an old PC (that had died) so that I could acces files from that.
    From the windows 7 PC I can "see" sdb and the two partitions (and the labels) but I cannot see any folders in the partitions. The message is "This folder is empty".

I have attached a picture of the OMV file systems.

and also one showing the the network disks from the Windows 7 PC. Dell-C and D are the sdb1&2 partitions that contain folders that cannot be seen.

I have spent some time scanning the forum, but have not yet found a post specific to my problem.
    Any input on my problem would be appreciated.

• NTFS

Will never work as expected for the various reasons outlined here for example:

The only sane mode with OMV/Samba is having a real POSIX compliant OS (like ext4, XFS, ZFS, btrfs) on the server and the data arriving at this filesystem through a filesharing daemon like Samba. Directly attaching an already used NTFS disk and trying to share will result in a mess with file metadata, encodings and permissions. It seems to work but especially after allowing write access it will only create a mess.

If you want to continue with a setup that can't work then adjust Log Level in SMB/CIFS settings from None to Normal or Full and watch tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep smbd output while trying to access the directories via Samba. Most probably permission errors will be reported.

• Many thanks for the prompt reply tKaiser.
    Obviously there is far more going on than I envisaged based on my "noobie" status (and knowledge).
    Whilst I don't understand the reasons, I accept that my configuration will never work successfully.
    I will revise my disk formats and proceed by the rules.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!