An interesting problem - loss of internet when connected.

• So some background. I've been having internet issues for the last two weeks and I've been trying to figure out why. My ISP swears up and down there is no problem with my connection, I've even had two techs come out and check everything without any issue. Today I decided I'm just gonna trouble shoot it myself (I have a networking background), to hell with the ISP, even though they've told me I cannot go into the rooms in my building etc. I have the keys so I went in. Everything is fine as far as I can tell.

Devices on my network;
    -My main PC
    -Laptop
    -Microsoft Surface
    -Samsung TV
    -Various apple devices
    -Multiple Amazon devices
    -Synology Nas
    -Intel Nuc (Running OMV 4)

The problem; Every EXACTLY 1 minute 50s the internet on ALL of my devices drops for EXACTLY 30s. Across my entire network. This is a persistent problem and continues this pattern, without fail, even through modem resets.

So I started regular trouble shooting, switched the cables from the modem to switch and all my devices. No change, problem persists. So I decided that maybe the modem (router as well, one box) is having a load issue. So I bought a new router, ASUS AC3100, plugged it in, configured it, etc. Same issue. What a pain.

So I started from scratch. I unplugged everything, reset all the network settings on all my devices. I started connecting 1 device at a time, running a ping to google.ca as I had been to check connection. Low and behold, first device, no ping drops for over an hour. Onto the next device. no ping drops! Cool! So I plug in my PC, no ping drops! Plug in my Nas, no problems! Great, it's working maybe! Plug in my Nuc (the one running OMV) IMMEDIATELY, within seconds, connection drops. BAM GONE. Unplug, connection is back. In, GONE. WTF?

So basically, whenever I plug in my Nuc running OMV 4 my internet connection drops.

I'm not a Linux guy, and as such, I don't even know where to begin to trouble shoot this. My only option would be to format and start over, which I'm trying to avoid.

Any insight and thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR

Plugging my Intel Nuc running OMV 4 into my network completely kills my network and internet connection. No idea why, thoughts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it was me, I'd rebuild. It doesn't take that long and, given the broad scope of the effect, I'd want to eliminate the possibility of some sort of odd corrupt in OMV/Debian.

I don't know what you're booting with but, as a test, you could build an 8GB or larger USB thumb-drive while leaving whatever you're currently using to boot OMV, alone. A fresh build takes around 15 minutes and you'd know, at the end of it, what to look at next.

• If it was me, I'd rebuild. It doesn't take that long and, given the broad scope of the effect, I'd want to eliminate the possibility of some sort of odd corrupt in OMV/Debian.

I don't know what you're booting with but, as a test, you could build an 8GB or larger USB thumb-drive while leaving whatever you're currently using to boot OMV, alone. A fresh build takes around 15 minutes and you'd know, at the end of it, what to look at next.

Yea that's kind of what I'm leaning towards as well, just rebuilding, I really wanted to avoid it though cause of all the configuring I have to do (Last time it took me 5 hours to get it working and that was well over a year ago so I've forgotten most of it).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, I know what you mean about all the extra configuration. Most builds become something of an evolution where, restoring it all takes a lot longer than 15 minutes. This is one of the reasons I boot from USB thumb-drives, because backing them up is dirt simple. With a cloned boot drive in hand, if something goes wrong, it's easy to gracefully back out of the problem with your configuration intact.

If you decide to change to USB thumb-drives, there's a process for cloning them -> here. Once everything is reconfigured, you won't have to do it again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check your DHCP-server and the OMV box for colliding IP adresses. That is a very easy way to generate wierd problems in a network or even take it down completely.

If you have a static IP for OMV, set in OMV, and have bought a new router, then collisions in the network are likely.

A better way to assign static IPs is in the DHCP-server in router. Set the DHCP-server to always assign a specific IP to a certain device. Static lease. Then you can also use friendly host names instead of numbers.

• Check your DHCP-server and the OMV box for colliding IP adresses. That is a very easy way to generate wierd problems in a network or even take it down completely.

If you have a static IP for OMV, set in OMV, and have bought a new router, then collisions in the network are likely.

A better way to assign static IPs is in the DHCP-server in router. Set the DHCP-server to always assign a specific IP to a certain device. Static lease. Then you can also use friendly host names instead of numbers.

The IPs are reserved by the DHCP server and there are no colliding IP's. This was something that I thought of awhile ago. Still no progress on why it does this :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then the two remaining options are hardware or software problems with the OMV box.

I would reinstall. And make sure to backup the install afterwards. Make screendumps to help make a reinstall easier. Filesystems, shares, services, users and so on.

What software is running on the box besides OMV itself?

Do you have a spare NUC to switch with?

• I'm not a Linux guy, and as such, I don't even know where to begin to trouble shoot this

Logs.

Maybe looking into /var/log/syslog while attaching the box to the network gives any clues. I would run a tail -f /var/log/syslog on the OMV box, then connect the network, wait few seconds, disconnect, stop with ctrl-c, collect the output from arp -a and then post the whole output (via pastebin.com for example). Next step would be running tcpdump and/or tshark on the OMV box putting the Ethernet interface into promiscuous mode and sniffing traffic. At least if it's about to trouble shoot the issue.

If I understood correctly you run a ping google.ca on another machine the whole time so name resolution is already done when connecting the OMV box to the network?

• I have same problem.
    When OMW is online (connected network), I have low ping value ,1500ms, then I got "request timed out". if I unplug OMW's cable from modem, everything works well without high ping value and "request timed out".

I changed all CAT5 cables, changed two modem, reinstalled OMW with minimum option, updated to latest version, nothing changed. I gave static IP to OMV.

Any solution?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!