[resolved] How should I install OMV 2x (or higher) FROM OMV 1.19 (weezy) with active RAID6 data drives without losing current array?

• I'm very behind in OMV versions, but it's been working good so far. But now I've seemed to run into upgrade issues, so I may need to do a wipe of OS and install OMV 3 or 4. Because I have 6 active disks in RAID6 configuration, what's the best way to do this? Should I just disconnect the data disks, install OMV 4, then restart with the 6 data disks plugged in again? Will that work without losing or having to reformat or re-initialize the RAID array?

Thanks for your answer. I guess I've never had to upgrade since it has been working fine until a few weeks ago.

"That which you don't confront can own you" -unknown

• So I went ahead and installed Debian 9 after unplugging all my RAID drives from the MB. The only hitch I had was that once I installed from bootable USB, the boot loader was always pointing to the wrong drive. I got past it by editing the GRUB config on boot (press the "e" key on boot screen). I had to set the booth pointers from "root=/dev/sda" to "root=/dev/sdb". Tried editing fstab, but I just got a lot of errors. Maybe I ran into errors because I'm using a hardware raid controller for the system drives (2 SSD drives)

As a last resort, I did:
    # update-grub
    # grub-install /dev/sda1

I'm not sure if this fixed the GRUB loader to look at the SSD drive, but it does now load properly.

I then went through the process of installing OMV4.
    https://openmediavault.readthe…stallation/on_debian.html

After this, I just pulled up the web GUI and was able to login just fine.

NOW, I shutdown, plugged in all my RAID drives again and booted up again. All my drives showed up and RAID status was clean.

So it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for OMV, it's great. :thumbup:

"That which you don't confront can own you" -unknown

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!