Benefits to UEFI installation?

• Hello,

I have a pretty stable install of OMV that I have been running for many months now. I noticed that the new ISO installer now supports UEFI. Is there any benefit to switching to a UEFI based installation?

I have had some ACPI BIOS errors that show up during boot so I'm wondering if switching to a UEFI installation will maybe fix those. They don't seem to affect the performance of anything outside of just extending the boot time by 10-15 seconds.

My setup:

Gigabyte x99M Gaming 5
    i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    128 GB NVME boot drive
    many many hard drives for storage

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where OMV is concerned, I can't really think of a benefit to an end user, when booting from UEFI versus BIOS. UEFI has a much more powerful shell, if something goes wrong, versus initramfs (Linux on BIOS) which is a vehicle to mount a filesystem.
    UEFI provides benefits to the OS Developers and Software integrators at the big PC OEM's but, without spending a lot of time to learn the shell, there's doesn't seem to much to benefit an end user. (I could be wrong.)

On the other hand UEFI opens up a whole new set of security issues where, with the extra memory space dedicated to UEIF, hacks can install sophisticated and very persistent malware, that will survive a hard drive wipe.

I have had some ACPI BIOS errors that show up during boot so I'm wondering if switching to a UEFI installation will maybe fix those. They don't seem to affect the performance of anything outside of just extending the boot time by 10-15 seconds.

Hard to say. But if it's about an extra 10-15 seconds of time during a reboot (once a week, once a month or more ? ), I wouldn't be inclined to rebuild for the difference. (IMHO)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!