OMV Best Config for 8 and 24 drives

• Just want to consult experts here what would be the best config-wise for the following specs:

Running OMV on ESXi with passthru LSI IT mode connects to Supermicro expander with 24 x 1TB drives.

What are the best config options for 24 drives? (E.g. ZFS, snapraid, RAID6 etc...)

Likewise, I have another always-on system with only 8 drives. Appreciate if you can give advice on 8-drive Config as well.

Thanks in advance

• What are the best config options for 24 drives?

Impossible to answer without knowing the use case (as always in IT).

Usually the use case comes first, then a concept and then the hardware.

• As much HDD as possible is good for situations where you want high random I/O performance (high IOPS) but don't want to afford SSDs. For this to work you need an appropriate storage topology: https://jrs-s.net/2015/02/06/z…e-mirror-vdevs-not-raidz/
    • If it's only about sequential access and random IO is not important you can choose whatever topology you want but with redundancy you have to keep in mind how 'costly' a drive replacement can be (see link above)

Me personally tries to keep the number of disks as low as possible. Currently in the unfortunate position to sit between client and systems house dealing with a 16 HDD server for cold data with RAIDz3. Every other week one disk gets kicked out of the array, we upgraded firmwares on all 16 drives and the LSI controller already, next step is to replace cables between HBA and SAS Expander. I really don't want to imagine how 'nice' another layer of added complexity would behave here ('Running OMV on ESXi with passthru LSI IT mode')

• For 24-drive Config. It's mostly for backups. Not much of high iops requirement. Just want to know how to proper configure those drives. I read between the lines on zfs, omv, then mergefs and snapraid, and then there is raid6 option. Just kinda want best way to go about it.

What do you think if I were to create 2 x arrays of raid6 (software raid6 via omv) with 12 drives each. So 10 usable drives per array?

I also have option of doing hw raid via a new LSI card with BBU, but not sure if I can monitor the array via passthru mode.

Anyway, ESXI is must since I want to run some other VMs on the host other than OMV.

So far I did some initial testing with omv4 and 8 drives with raid6 on ESXi via passthru. It's very dead simple to get up and running. Also like the fact that I can reinstall omv and everything is still intact.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!