help! my pi wont shutdown automatically when use 'scheduled jobs'

• my raspberry pi 2 b+ using omv 4(same problem when use omv3).it wont auto shutdown although i set a scheduled jobs. when exactly that time noting happen....
    thanks
    setting below:

final answer:
    run it 24x7;-)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von freigi () aus folgendem Grund: found answer

• Offizieller Beitrag

but daily option cant set exact time. will omv shutdown at 00:00?if so, that what i want.

That scheduled job set up is different to amd64, when you set to daily is there a command option box?

AFAIK setting that to daily should run at 00:00

• i should run it 24*7?
    because shutdown every night maybe my pi will last longer. and feel Comfortable.

additional stress/wear <--- is it really really true?

according to you, i should run my pi 7x24?

• how long your pi run 24x7 already.
    i did some research on google about usb flash drive. lots of comment said that it wont last long when sd card (or usb flash drive) run 24x7.

i will think about 24x7 seriously.

by the way it maybe a bug

• Offizieller Beitrag

i did some research on google about usb flash drive. lots of comment said that it wont last long when sd card (or usb flash drive) run 24x7.

i will think about 24x7 seriously.

Assuming a standard file server use case:

With OMV, the flash-memory plugin is installed by default in the R-PI image. The plugin is designed to reduce both the size and frequency of writes to flash media.
    If your R-PI is on 24x7, the flash-memory plugin will write to the SD-card before an administrative shutdown. (This may be once a week, once a month or even less.)
    On the other hand, if you do a daily shutdown, you're forcing writes to your SD-card everyday. If your R-PI is running 24x7; fewer shutdowns will result in fewer writes to the SD-card, which should make it last longer.

In any case, in the file server use case, the flash-memory plugin will insure that the life of an SD-card is reasonable. But you should clone your SD-card, to a second card, for backup.

• Zitat von tkaiser

Why do you believe so?

i search around sd card 24x7. some comment said both read and write will wear out sd card.
    will wear out when read from sd card?

Zitat von crashtest

With OMV, the flash-memory plugin is installed by default in the R-PI imagedies it

dose that plugin need to be activated manually?

Zitat von crashtest

On the other hand, if you do a daily shutdown, you're forcing writes to your SD-card everyday

omg:-( i m killing my baby

• i m killing my baby

Nope. What @crashtest and @geaves wrote is a recommendation not taking care of details and oversimplifying things until they got wrong.

If you bought a genuine SD card then this card will survive a lot of writes (usually a thousand times more than its own capacity). The problem is that an awful lot of people without even knowing buy counterfeit flash memory (8GB real capacity but faking 64GB for example) and these fake flash products will stop working once the amount of writes over the lifetime exceed its real capacity.

On a genuine and quality SD card with 8 GB capacity you can write 8 TB to the card without the card failing (wear leveling does the job). On a faked 64 GB card that has a real capacity of also just 8 GB your card will stop operating once 8 GB have been written to it. That's why the majority of people think flash storage would be unreliable in general: fake flash dying a thousand times faster than good and genuine flash.

The real problem that needs real understanding is called 'Write Amplification' (see my explanation here). As long as this isn't understood it's impossible to develop a strategy to reduce wear on SD card. The flashmemory plugin or Armbian's log2ram concept both base on the concept of minimizing the Write Amplification since 300 KB of logs written in a batch will result in magnitudes lower wear out comparing to log writes that happen every now and then. That's why the flashmemory plugin writing stuff to the card at shutdown is no issue at all.

On the other hand even with flashmemory plugin active (default on the OMV images for ARM) writes will happen. Especially if you followed the so called 'New User Guide' recommending to enable monitoring on page 38. Also when installing updates writes happen (and always installing available updates is the most important step to keep your systems secure!).

TL;DR: as long as you ensured that you bought a good and genuine SD card (tested for fake capacity), enabled the flashmemory plugin (default on ARM) and disabled monitoring (default on ARM, but one specific guide recommends to change it) there's nothing to fear wrt wearing out the SD card. As every hardware it will eventually die but with the above precautions it will last most probably decades regardless whether you shut down daily or not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The real problem that needs real understanding is called 'Write Amplification' (see my explanation here).

This explanation solves no problems. The flashmemory plugin solves the actual problem of writing flash media to exhaustion. It extends the usable life of the card. Simple.
    (Done here...)
    ________________________________________________________________________________

@freigi - since you were worried about it, the main point to be made here is, you're not saving wear and tear on your SD-card by shutting down everyday.
    And in any case, if you back up your SD-card to another SD-card, you'll have nothing to worry about. (Backup is recommended.)

Take care.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!