OMV - Xfinity Router - DHCP Reservation

• Hello All,
    Very new to OMV here and Raspberry Pi in general, and just got my first Pi Nas setup with a few external drives, a 4 port USB3.0 hub, an enclosure, and some big flashdrives. (I pooled them all into one 10TB drive pool with the plugin 'Union File System' (MergeFS)) So it's a little over 10tb total and the setup was so much easier than I expected. You guys have simplified an amazing product with a very small footprint. Much Kudos! I've been in IT since 99, but only ever dabbled with linux here and there so I don't know much at all. So every time I get something to work how I want, it's a MAJOR small victory for me, lol. So once I figured this one out and how easy it was to do, I wanted to share this 'How To' for any other noobs out there like myself who want to set a static IP for their Raspberry Pi OMV NAS from their router, not from within OMV.

I had some issues when I first tried setting a static IP through the OMV WebGUI so I started looking into setting a DHCP Reservation in the router. I have Xfinity (Comcast) home internet and if you ask them or check their forums, they tell you that only the business class modems/routers can even do static IPs. I have told them in the past I do work from home, and I have a 1Gbps down/35Mbps up connection, but I still have the gigabit Home wireless modem/router:
    ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/QTD3dCBxFYnJKA5C6 This is the one I have)

And I wanted to show the process of setting a DHCP Reservation within the Xfinity router for my OMV Nas.

1. First login to the router in any web browser. For Xfinity (Comcast) the router's default IP is: 10.0.0.1, so browse to http://10.0.0.1 and Login. (Xfinity Router Default Username: admin - Password: password) (I am assuming you know your router login info and have logged in)
    - (For other brands of routers use the IP for your router, and the steps below will be different but should be very similar in terms of looking for the 'DHCP Reservation' section, and the things you need to set.)
    2. Once logged in, click 'Connected Devices' on the left, then click 'Devices'.
    3. This will list all devices connected from your router. Locate the entry for your Raspberry Pi. (I renamed mine to Pi) and click Edit.

4. It will default to DHCP but when you click the Edit button to the far right of that line (the line with your Pi), you can change it to Reserved and set an IP Address to always be used for that device.

5. Check 'Reserved IP' and confirm this is the correct MAC address for your device.
    6. Type in the IP Address you want reserved for your Pi, and click Save.

Give it a few seconds and once it refreshes you can now reboot the Pi to get the new reserved IP, or you can perform the equivalent of a release/renew in Windows, from the Pi's Command Line.

Access the Command Line Interface (CLI) however you like, i.e. Putty to it, plug in a screen, mouse, and keyboard, or install the ShellInaBox plugin for OMV, etc.. but once you get to the CLI, follow the steps below:

sudo dhclient -r (The equivalent of release)
    sudo dhclient (The equivalent of renew)

If you want to specify the adapter name, i.e. wlan1, eth01, etc, then you would do:
    sudo dhclient -v -r eth0
    sudo dhclient -v eth0

(The -v option shows information on screen about dhcp server and obtained lease.)

There are various other distro specific methods for doing this:
    There is no need to restart network service. Above commands should work with any Linux distro such as RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.
    On a related note you can also use the following commands:
    # ifdown eth0
    # ifup eth0

### RHEL/CentOS/Fedora specific command ###
    # /etc/init.d/network restart
    OR
    ### Debian / Ubuntu Linux specific command ###
    # /etc/init.d/networking restart
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, I didn't have to perform the above last section of commands to release/renew, or more appropriately ifdown eth01 / ifup eth01, because the IP I set the DHCP reservation to was already the IP being used for the Pi from DHCP. So if the last section is incorrect by any means, or can be shortened and made easier, please advise and thanks in advance.
    I personally think it's just easier to reboot the Pi to pull the new IP but I may be wrong about that. Again, I am only a few weeks old in the world of Pi/NAS/OMV.

Have a good one!

Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!