8-bay NAS build recommendations

• Hello OMV community,

I am going to be moving into a new house and I want to build a massive media server to replace my 6TB Synology 415. Here is my initial architecture:

• 8 HDs (6 for storage, 2 for parity)
    • SnapRAID/UnionFS
    • 1 SSD for OMV

Now, what I am unsure of is what motherboard/CPU/RAM combination I should be targeting, not to mention what case would be best. This server will not only store/server media files, but I will be running quite a few docker images on it, so was targeting around 32GB of RAM. I will be getting into home automation as well.

I'd love to get some feedback on the core components, was initially thinking of a Supermicro board for the remote console. Any and all help is welcome.

- Aitrus

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a couple of Supermicro boards (X10SLV-Q and .X10SL7-F). They are decent but I like my AsrockRack server board (EPC612DB) better. You don't mention your budget or case size but the Asrock Rack C3758D4I-4L with a Silverstone DS380 would be nice.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Don't really have a budget just trying to take the best recommendations. Is that board that you have able to be consoled in? Case I need something that has 8 bays obviously, going to pack as much HD space as I can in there. Going to use it to serve 4k content, music, etc. And run a lot of automated software with OMV. What RAM would you recommend? Assuming I don't need a large SSD for OMV and such?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is that board that you have able to be consoled in?

Yes.

Case I need something that has 8 bays obviously, going to pack as much HD space as I can in there.

DS380 has eight hotswap bays and four internal 2.5" bays.

What RAM would you recommend?

Depends on the board. For server boards, I usually select ram from the manufacturers compatibility list.

Assuming I don't need a large SSD for OMV and such?

If you use a data drive for docker then you don't.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I have a couple of Supermicro boards (X10SLV-Q and .X10SL7-F). They are decent but I like my AsrockRack server board (EPC612DB) better. You don't mention your budget or case size but the Asrock Rack C3758D4I-4L with a Silverstone DS380 would be nice.

Took a look at that board, curious what RAM and CPU you are using in that board? AsrockRack got really good reviews, I think I will definitely look into getting one of their boards. Looking at the Fractal 804 for the case. Was looking at the E3C246D4U as well, seems like a newer board, but has 8 SATA and it looks like if I wanted to use an SSD to boot (from the PCIe slot), it uses up that SATA 0 so I'd only have 7 NAS HDs? Is that right? And yes, Docker on the data drive. OMV/config are only on the SSD. Also noticed for the C3758D41-4L board, it only shows a single drive in the HDD QVL, is that the only one it takes?

• Offizieller Beitrag

curious what RAM and CPU you are using in that board?

It is my primary VMware ESXi server (currently 36 VMs) with one Xeon E5-2697 v3 and 128 GB of this ram in it.

Was looking at the E3C246D4U as well, seems like a newer board, but has 8 SATA and it looks like if I wanted to use an SSD to boot (from the PCIe slot), it uses up that SATA 0 so I'd only have 7 NAS HDs? Is that right?

Yes but I would leave the boot drive connected to the motherboard. The LSI 9211-8i clones are cheap and easy to put in IT mode giving you at least 8 more drives.

Also noticed for the C3758D41-4L board, it only shows a single drive in the HDD QVL, is that the only one it takes?

I wouldn't worry about drives tested with the board.

• Is noise level a concern? If the nas can be loud you can consider some 2u server Rack with 12 3.5 hot swap cages. It is pretty easy to find reliable hw in those.

Not sure if noise level is a concern, moving into an older 1930 tudor house, not sure where I could put a rack, not to mention that running network cabling could be challenging. Actually have an electrician coming out to survey the house and see what is possible. Getting mesh wifi (Orbi) to assist with the 4k streaming around the house regardless of if I wire anything.

It is my primary VMware ESXi server (currently 36 VMs) with one Xeon E5-2697 v3 and 128 GB of this ram in it.

Yes but I would leave the boot drive connected to the motherboard. The LSI 9211-8i clones are cheap and easy to put in IT mode giving you at least 8 more drives.

I wouldn't worry about drives tested with the board.

Thanks so much for all the information. My Synology is starting to get fritzy so I am going to look at ramping up this project. I will look into the CPU/RAM you recommend for that initial board you recommended, I like the extra SATA ports on that one so I can expand if I need to. Assuming I should put my SSD boot drive on SATA0 and the rest on the ports following? What size SSD is good for OMV and its config? All other data will be on the data drive pool (60TB).

As for the Xeon E5-2697 v3 CPU, prices range from $1500 - $3000 for the CPU alone, that might be a budget breaker :) Trying to stay at a max of $3000 (including all the hard drives). Since I will be using this mainly as an OMV server for 4k media/music streaming with maybe another VM for my web design. Can you recommend maybe something a bit more scaled down for CPU based on my needs?

And for the parity drives, should I just get identical ones (6x for data, 2x for parity), or use something else for the parity drives? Noticed you mentioned the WD reds in another thread, that you had some PRO drives as well.

- Aitrus

• Offizieller Beitrag

Assuming I should put my SSD boot drive on SATA0 and the rest on the ports following?

Doesn't matter as long as you tell the bios to boot from it.

What size SSD is good for OMV and its config?

16GB+ is fine. I don't think you can get an SSD smaller than that anyway.

As for the Xeon E5-2697 v3 CPU, prices range from $1500 - $3000 for the CPU alone, that might be a budget breaker Trying to stay at a max of $3000 (including all the hard drives). Since I will be using this mainly as an OMV server for 4k media/music streaming with maybe another VM for my web design. Can you recommend maybe something a bit more scaled down for CPU based on my needs?

You definitely don't need that CPU. It is a 14 core cpu that I got from a friend. I started with an E5-2420v4 which should work well for your needs (which I still have if you are in the US).

And for the parity drives, should I just get identical ones (6x for data, 2x for parity), or use something else for the parity drives? Noticed you mentioned the WD reds in another thread, that you had some PRO drives as well.

I would get identical drives. The PRO drives would bust your budget and I don't think they are needed. I got them for a project that is now using SSDs.

• Doesn't matter as long as you tell the bios to boot from it.

16GB+ is fine. I don't think you can get an SSD smaller than that anyway.

You definitely don't need that CPU. It is a 14 core cpu that I got from a friend. I started with an E5-2420v4 which should work well for your needs (which I still have if you are in the US).

I would get identical drives. The PRO drives would bust your budget and I don't think they are needed. I got them for a project that is now using SSDs.

For that CPU found it new on newegg.com for $420. You mentioned still having that processor, I am in the US, were you wanting to sell it? Also what power supply would you recommend? And one more question about the parity drives, if I am planning to get 8 total drives, would you recommend the way I was thinking of doing it (SnapRAID/UnionFS with 6 data drives and 2 parity drives) for fault tolerance? I like the idea of withstanding 2 drive failures, as I don't know how feasible it is to backup terrabytes of data :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

For that CPU found it new on newegg.com for $420. You mentioned still having that processor, I am in the US, were you wanting to sell it?

Yep, I would get rid of it since I don't have another board to put it in. It is just the cpu (no heatsink - that is how it came). I use a Noctua NH-U12DX i4 heatsink. PM me if you are interested.

Also what power supply would you recommend?

I have a EVGA Supernova 650 P2 power supply but any good quality, platinum rated power supply should be good.

would you recommend the way I was thinking of doing it (SnapRAID/UnionFS with 6 data drives and 2 parity drives) for fault tolerance?

Yes.

I like the idea of withstanding 2 drive failures, as I don't know how feasible it is to backup terrabytes of data

I backup about 10TB to a second server and LTO tapes (don't even look at the prices for those lol). 60TB is a lot but I wouldn't go without backup forever.

• Yep, I would get rid of it since I don't have another board to put it in. It is just the cpu (no heatsink - that is how it came). I use a Noctua NH-U12DX i4 heatsink. PM me if you are interested.

I have a EVGA Supernova 650 P2 power supply but any good quality, platinum rated power supply should be good.

Yes.

I backup about 10TB to a second server and LTO tapes (don't even look at the prices for those lol). 60TB is a lot but I wouldn't go without backup forever.

I won't be storing 60TB up front, currently I have almost 6 TB of data filled, but wanted a lot of room to grow since I don't currently have any 4k content but will be in the future not to mention potentially using this for surveillance video storage as well.

• OK so I was able to get six WD RED 8TB drives on a really cheap daily price on Amazon, so my question is this, since I am going to want 2 more of those drives, can I add them after the fact to my pool with OMV, or should I wait to get those 2 drives before doing my configuration?

After all this discussion this is what I settled on:

(8) WD RED 8TB drives
    ASRock C3758D4I-4L Mini ITX Server Motherboard SOC
    Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel MATX Cube Computer Case
    E5-2420v4 CPU
    (4) Samsung DDR4 2133MHzCL15 8GB RegECC 1RX4 (PC4 2133) Internal Memory M393A1G40DB0-CPB
    Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Platinum SSR-650PX 650W 80+ Platinum
    SSD SATA 2.5" 120GB Dogfish Internal Solid State Drive
    Noctua NH-U12DX i4, Premium CPU Cooler for Intel Xeon LGA20xx (Brown)

Am I missing anything? Does all that look good for the build? Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can I add them after the fact to my pool with OMV,

Yes

ASRock C3758D4I-4L Mini ITX Server Motherboard SOC
    E5-2420v4 CPU
    Noctua NH-U12DX i4, Premium CPU Cooler for Intel Xeon LGA20xx (Brown)

That motherboard doesn't need a cpu or cooler since it uses an Atom C3758 SOC (system-on-a-chip).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!